Hey guys,

I have Windows Server 2008 and 2003 setup on Vitualbox on my ubuntu machine. I was wondering if there is a way I can have an external HDD with my VM's, and use it on different computers? I know the OS installs itself based on your hardware, but is there a way to have an external with the OS independant of you hardware, or adapts itself? I want to take my external HDD to work and use it on my service machine during lunch, but the OS is installed on my home pc. Or is there a linux distro that can do this? I am learning Server 08 and 03 so I'd like to take my "lab" to work and back.

Stian

Hey guys,

I have Windows Server 2008 and 2003 setup on Vitualbox on my ubuntu machine. I was wondering if there is a way I can have an external HDD with my VM's, and use it on different computers? I know the OS installs itself based on your hardware, but is there a way to have an external with the OS independant of you hardware, or adapts itself? I want to take my external HDD to work and use it on my service machine during lunch, but the OS is installed on my home pc. Or is there a linux distro that can do this? I am learning Server 08 and 03 so I'd like to take my "lab" to work and back.

Stian

If you are using Ubuntu 9.10 you can try vmware player, its very good and free (maybe it can work with earlier versions of Ubuntu too, havent tried that)

Cheers,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.