I have previously had no problems backing up my C drive and occassionally restoring it using Nero 8 BackItUp. Last time I tried to back up the C drive using Nero I had a string of failures.
I then installed Acronis True Image Home 11 and was unable to back up with that either. I have been able to do back ups, using both programs, of my D drive with all my data, but back up of C drive fails.
I ran a Diskcheck with Windows and a large string of "replaced bad clusters" appeared. Is this the reason I am having problems? Does this mean my Hard Drive is about to fail?
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

did you run chkdsk /f so that the errors are repaired??
Also run :-
Verify Window’s Files

1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow /f (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC

Hi
It might very well be that you're HD is going bad. Try running a backup on another drive. Thats if you have another HD to do the test

I think I would be concerned... when chkdsk detects bad clusters I think they are above and beyond the ones dealt with by the SMART system in the drive controller - that technology replaces bad sectors with spares from a hidden stash and its actions are invisible to the OS. Monitor them.. if they increase over a reasonable time then danger is nearing as far as hdd failure is concerned.
chkdsk /f fixes errors as it finds them while checking the integrity of the file system against the used clusters of sectors; any bad sectors are isolated and reported.
chkdsk /r goes further in that it also checks unused clusters and isolates bad ones.
I have to ask: are C: and D: drives [or partitions] on the same hdd?
Can you backup any files or directories from C: ? Be selective, get as much as you can.
A quick read of sites shows that some backup pgms will hang up over bad clusters. Isolating them, deleting the affected files and continuing the backup seems the way to go. Better backup pgms give you the option of ignoring bad clusters. You do get a backup but with data missing.

did you run chkdsk /f so that the errors are repaired??
Also run :-
Verify Window’s Files

1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow /f (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC

Thanks for your reply. I ran chkdsk. I then did the CMD etc and just ended up with screen as per my attachment. What do I do next?

as the man said. But I cannot see sfc fixing bad clusters for you. It checks protected windows files are current and extant, is all.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.