Folks,
I was having a problem with the CD drive so I downloaded a driver from Dell support that I thought was going to help. Well, when it finished it powered down the computer. I turned back on and now instead of loading past the Microsoft screen, I get a blue screen with "STop: c0000135 (Unable to locate component) This application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." It is an old Dell Dimension 8250 with XP. Can someone please help?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Insert your Windows XP installation CD and follow directions as if you were installing or repairing an installation.A Recovery option should come up and follow directions to recover the broken files.Google Recovery Consul for XP and you will get more help.It's been a long time since my XP crashed.

a Dell xp cd whats that !! lol

i would suggest trying f8 on bootup and try getting into safe mode to uninstall the driver you installed,rarely do you need to install a cd-rom driver.
what problem were you having with you cd-drive

caperjack,
I could read files on the disc but not burn. Tried safemode but would not go past the error message.

Deadly blue screen.... RUN AWAY!!!

caperjack,
I could read files on the disc but not burn.

likely cause is the lazer is getting bad ,driver would not fix that !

Tried safemode but would not go past the error message.

info on the same error message here!
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885523

try this ,from link above !
Note Your computer may restart immediately if it is configured to automatically restart when a system failure occurs. To turn off this option so that your computer does not restart, press F8 at startup, use the arrow keys to select the Disable automatic restart on system failure option, and then press ENTER.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.