First of all, hi. I am using Windows XP.
I have a problem whereby I am unable to open Local Disk(C: ) and (D: ) from My Computer. I managed to open my documents and other files/folders except that I can't access my local disks. Everytime i try double clicking on the Local Disk (C: ) and Local Disk(D: ) icons, an Open With...popup window comes out instead. It doesn't open normally and I can't view the files. I tried on right clicking and clicked on open and explore but both methods came to no avail.
I asked my friend about it and he told me that my drives are infected with virus and I would need to reformat it. Is it true and if so, is there any other ways to solve this problem?Help please.

If you need any logs from any antivirus software, please do tell me. I will download the software if I have to and post the log as soon as possible.
Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hello could you please post a screen shot of the popup that comes up?

Try System Restore.

Unfortunatly this is a virus with the file name MS32DLL. Below is a link to the removal tool. If it doesnt work then you will have to manually remove the virus. Below is instructions on how to remove it manually.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/sUBs/Flash_Disinfector.exe

Instructions on how to remove manually:
double click on My computer on Desktop ,
- choose Tool and select "Folder options"
- click on "View" tap select "Show Hidden files and folders" and un hake "Hide Extention...."
- and "Hide protected operating system file" (this selections are important to find the files you need to delete)
- then click "OK"

3. open Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del) and select the "Processes" tap
- Click on "Image name" to sort File
- find "wscript.exe" and click on "End Process" (if there is more than one process with that name you have to end all of them)
- close the "Task Manager"

4. then you will click on Start and select "Search" and search for "autorun.inf" (Search the computer)
- you will then delete all the files that contains the text MS32DLL.dll.vbs (the virus) by pressing: SHIFT + DELETE. (There of course should not be Autorun.inf in the C rooth).

5. you will also delete the virus from the system (C:\WINDOWS\ MS32DLL.dll.vbs) by pressing: SHIFT + DELETE

6. Next step is to edit the Register (Like always you have to be very careful in the registry tools.

- first, click on "Start" and select "Run" and type in "Regedit" and press "Enter".
- select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> Software -->Microsoft -->Windows --> Current Version --> Run.
- find there "MS32DLL" and delete that entry.

6. Then select HKEY_CURRENT_USER --> Software --> Microsoft --> Internet Explorer --> Main. There you find "Window Title "Hacked by Godzilla"" and you should delete that entry. You can close the registry now.

7. next you will click on Start --> Run and type in "gpedit.msc" and press "Enter". then you will open "Group Policy".
- there you will select User Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> System --> and there you will double click on "Turn Off Autoplay"

- in the window there you should select "Enabled" and select "All drives." Now you can close the Group Policy.

8. Next you will click on Start --> Run and type "msconfig" and press "Enter".
- you will open "System Configuration Utility".
- click on "Startup" tab
- find the file MS32DLL, choose Enable All, then unclick "MS32DLL"
- click Apply then OK to close

- then you will exit the "System Configuration Utility" and select "Exit Without Restart" when prompt.

9. After this you double click on My Computer and select "Tools" and "Folder Options" and "View" tab to change back there.
- select "Hide Extention..." and "Hide protected operating system file" and "Don't show hidden files and folders".

- then you will empty the "Recycle bin" and "Restart" your computer

I hope this helps

Hey thanks alot. The removal tool managed to remove the virus. Thanks for the help you've given :).

same problem also i faced pls.reply mi

First of all, hi. I am using Windows XP.
I have a problem whereby I am unable to open Local Disk(C: ) and (D: ) from My Computer. I managed to open my documents and other files/folders except that I can't access my local disks. Everytime i try double clicking on the Local Disk (C: ) and Local Disk(D: ) icons, an Open With...popup window comes out instead. It doesn't open normally and I can't view the files. I tried on right clicking and clicked on open and explore but both methods came to no avail.
I asked my friend about it and he told me that my drives are infected with virus and I would need to reformat it. Is it true and if so, is there any other ways to solve this problem?Help please.

If you need any logs from any antivirus software, please do tell me. I will download the software if I have to and post the log as soon as possible.
Thanks.

hello, i have problem opening the Local Disk C and D, when i open the disk it appears auto play and when i double click to open it says kmg. exe file is not supported plz do help me.
loday

Hello, loday..
kmg.exe is a pest... malware. May I suggest that you run Malwarebytes Antimalware?
==Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
from: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html
or: http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
=Dclick that file, mbam-setup.exe, to install the application,
-ensure that it is set to update and start, else start it via the icon, and UPDATE it.
Select "Perform QUICK Scan", then click Scan; the application will guide you through the remaining steps.
ENSURE that EVERYTHING found has a CHECKMARK against it, then click Remove Selected.
If malware has been found [and removed] MBAM will automatically produce a log for you when it completes... do not click the Save Logfile button.
Examine the log: if some files are listed as Delete on Reboot then restart your machine before continuing.
Copy and post that log [it is also saved under Logs tab in MBAM].

hello gerbil, thanks for the help still i am having problem, i have done as you have instructed to me i have downloaded mbam-setup.exe and it was updated sucessfully and as u said i have clicked quick scan and there was infected objects but before completing the scan i mean before displaying the results my computer gets shutdowm automatically, i tries two times but it is same. plz do help me

Good morning, Loday.... try running it in Safe mode. When you finally get a complete scan done and objects removed, run it again in Normal mode.
What you can also do is run it in Normal mode, judge when you can cancel the scan before it shuts your sys down, select all the objects it has found and fix them, restart the scan. And so on. What you try to do here is perhaps remove some support files that the malware needs each time, so breaking its restorative power.

I am not able to open the local disks C D and E .there is no wscript.exe" file in the task manager but the problem is there

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.