ok i got a registry cleaner and i need to know what to do. i have 242 "problems" detected of reg keys leading nowhere and i dont know if i want to delte them or what... also how do i make a backup of the registry? and can anyone give me some tips on what NOT to delete because i really dont wanna screw up my pooter :rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Start-Run "regedit" File-Export ;)

ok so when i export it do i click on the my computer icon? so it does em all also if something goes wrong how can i restore the other one?

Which registry cleaner are you using, incidently? Sorry I can't really help you because I have always made it a habit never to touch the registry ... I'm not big on uinstalling software or installing shareware, etc. type stuff so I figure it's better to just leave well enough alone. Has anyone ever had any problems with registry cleaners? i.e. removing keys that were really needed? screwing up the computer?

ok i got a registry cleaner and i need to know what to do. i have 242 "problems" detected of reg keys leading nowhere and i dont know if i want to delte them or what... also how do i make a backup of the registry? and can anyone give me some tips on what NOT to delete because i really dont wanna screw up my pooter :rolleyes:

I have used Ashampoo which deleted stuff that was needed & also ultrawinclean which did the same. They do, however, create a backup before deleting.
I now use a program called easycleaner which is free, no spyware, & does a great job IMO. It can also delete temp files, duplicate files & has a built in uninstaller.
Go here to download.

If everyone would just harden IE ....." Spyware I have not on my machine " :yoda

Seriously, speaking, I have not had spyware and all this other drivel on my machine for over 7 months.(& I do run SB&D)

Even if you do not run IE you still need to harden IE. & this is why we need a security forum.

But when you update from M$ you end up with Alexa installed into IE without your knowledge. I run spyware blaster which prevents malware from being installed from the web, but doesn't monitor *security* updates from M$.

A bit off topic here ,crunchie are you a GOHST? I go by the name of Korpdeath on the servers.

A bit off topic here ,crunchie are you a GOHST? I go by the name of Korpdeath on the servers.

:confused: I was just responding to your first post.

EDIT. I'm with you now. My avatar. No, I just play solo on my pc. Dial-up is useless for gaming.

I have never used a reg cleaner that didn't remove stuff i needed .thats why I stopped useing them ,If you want to secure you computer Remove it from the internet !!

If everyone would just harden IE

How does one go about hardening IE?

he probably means turn off active X etc.

The RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection java.inf,UnInstall ? When I do that in run it says that if I continue IE wont be able to d/l from the www? *confused*

Forgive, I am a total newb when it comes to stuff like this.

well i use RegScrubXP and i went in and delted a few things like i had about 50 entries for MyWebSearch Bar so i delted those and a few other things that i didnt need from games and such nothing wrong so far

and for yours information i do have spy bot s&d and adaware

also every time i scan with adaware and spybot like 15-20 cookies come up on the screen they say tracking cookie or something and i dont know what that means cause they never go away and every time i get on the internet since you get more cookiez it keeps happening

Ive had the same problem. I run AdWare - clean the tracking cookies - close the program - delete all my cookies - wait a few minutes (doing nothing) and run AdWare again, only to find that some, if not all, of the cookies are back.

What gives?

its a communist plot...

If you guys who keep using IE install a program called *spywareblaster* it will stop scumware from being installed from the web to start with. You will then have zero to delete.
Otherwise install opera.

EDIT. BTW JOE, thanks for the desktop, page loads real nice on dial-up. :cheesy:

yeah lol i uploaded the error message as untilted and then i uploaded my desktop not thinking as untitled and it changed sorry

just use ad aware in capers signature there [thats what i have been using for a few months now and my comp is fine] just glance through what your deleting though to make sure something doesnt look or sound imortant

..........you do know that you have to check the boxes and then click next to delete them right?
(you can right click and select all)

ok i got a registry cleaner and i need to know what to do. i have 242 "problems" detected of reg keys leading nowhere and i dont know if i want to delte them or what... also how do i make a backup of the registry? and can anyone give me some tips on what NOT to delete because i really dont wanna screw up my pooter

Which version of Windows are you running? Manual backup, for example, will vary with that info.

Tuneup Utilities has a built in registry cleaner also.

I use it almost every day that I don't go into and manually remove an Item.

Going into regedit and removing stuff is no big deal,...if your removing stuff you know only.
IE. I go in search the trees for anything that say MADONION.....Bang now all my 3DMARK stuff is gone as planned. ODDLY enough that does not affect any functions of my computer since I new what I wanted to remove.

Don't know what your looking for? don't go in there. Simple.

I will have to try spywareblaster.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.