MrPink 0 Newbie Poster

Hi. We have a couple of old network printers (HP Laserjet 5M and HP Colour Laserjet 4600n) shared on a couple of Windows 2000 servers in a Windows 2000 domain (yeah I know this is all ancient, but it works!). We have just taken delivery of some x64 Win7 Pro laptops and predictably I'm having trouble installing the printers on them. It seems from what I've read that Win7 has the drivers for the Laserjet 5M built in, and probably the Colour Laserjet 4600n too, so the printers can be connected locally. However, when trying to connect a network printer Win7 pops up a dialog saying it is contacting Windows Update and then complains it can't find a suitable driver. The HP website does not have drivers for the Laserjet 5M for Win7 (saying they're built into Win7), and offers the Universal Print Driver (which seems like overkill) for the Colour Laserjet 4600n. Can anybody help with the best way to install these printers over a network on Win7 from old servers please? I was hoping to just be able to download a driver and point Win7 at it when it complains it can't find anything on Windows Update. TIA.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.