I've just reinstall XP sp2 on my laptop, got everything going but now for some reasons I can't access any files in it while I'm on my other cpu. It shows the Laptop on the network but files are restricted. All restrictions are allowed in Security settings too. Another thing is I can acess files from my home cpu from my laptop no problem.. Its driving me nuts..!! any suggestions..,

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Do you have any firewall configured in your local network? Also does it prompt for the windows credentials when you access the other pc from your laptop?

make sure there are the same usernames+passwords on all machines

Do you have any firewall configured in your local network? Also does it prompt for the windows credentials when you access the other pc from your laptop?

All it says is the following

\\laptop not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resources. Contact admin if you have permissions. Access Is Denied

I have not touch any firewall settings. It should still allow it too pass through because I had it running before xp re-install.

make sure there are the same usernames+passwords on all machines

No offence, but what does that have to with it?

in windows, unless you tweak the GPs, this is the default behaviout. each system checks it's local credential database, excluding the empty passworded accounts. and when it connects elsewhere, it usually sends it's own credentials. so unless you go into the GP and play with the settings, the only proper way of connecting to a windows share on another windows pc is to have the exact same username/password on both.

in windows, unless you tweak the GPs, this is the default behaviout. each system checks it's local credential database, excluding the empty passworded accounts. and when it connects elsewhere, it usually sends it's own credentials. so unless you go into the GP and play with the settings, the only proper way of connecting to a windows share on another windows pc is to have the exact same username/password on both.

Interesting..will have to try that when I get back on later..thx for info.

Interesting..will have to try that when I get back on later..thx for info.

Ok I have tried that and nope..same thing happens.

what exact security settings are you using? you have to give access to specific users, not the "everyone" group.
also, are you sure the passwords are not blank?

security settings are in full permission. I've tried adding users but still the same result. passwords are the same.

what error do you receive when typing in cmd:
net use z: \\another_pc\sharename

On laptop :
System Error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

On home cpu :
System Error 67 has occurred.
The network path was not found.

you didn't actually type "another_pc", did you?

you didn't actually type "another_pc", did you?

lol! You told me too...

that means enter the pc hostname you are trying to connect to here

I still get the same error.

check the firewall setting on windows firewall. make sure remote access is turned on, then enable all the same protocols on all the computers. like ipx/spx, file and printer sharing

already tried that, with the same results.

the folder youa re trying to access is it shared

What version of XP Service Pack 2 are you running Home or Professional? Have you turned off "Simple File Sharing"? I have had problems sharing files on my own Network until I turned this off. If not you can try turning it off in Control>Folder Options>View Tab>"Simple File Sharing". It is usually all the way at the bottom of the list.

Also, Have you check permissions on the Share & on the folders themselves? You can these permissions individually of each other. One way to make this easy is to set the permissions on the share to everyone modify access and then change the permissions on the folders themselves to have whatever permissions you want to give out.

Do you have any antivirus installed? If you have an internet security application disable it for the time being and test it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.