I keep getting the error "Stmgr has caused an error in MSVCRT.DLL. Stmgr will now close" a few seconds after WinMe has booted to the Desktop. Rebooting does no good...that error still comes up every time. I read in another forum that renaming all msvcrt.dll's except for the one in Windows/System to "oldmsvcrt.dll" and rebooting might help. It didn't. (There are 3 msvcrt.dll's on my OS...one in C:\Windows, one in C:\Program Files\java\jre1.5.0_01\bin, and the one in C:\Windows\System.) I can't think of anything on my system that's changed and have no idea what could be causing this error. Any advice or info would SO be appreciated. :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Did you install Zone Alarm or any other firewall recently ??

Sam

Did you install Zone Alarm or any other firewall recently ??

Sam

I've had ZoneAlarm Pro for a few years with no problems, but I did upgrade to ZoneAlarm Security Suite a month or so ago. Not sure if the msvcrt.dll error started then or not, but did suspect it. I have the same post on ZoneAlarm's forum, but it hasn't been answered yet. :confused:

Hi,
Lets keep it to the basics. If you have a back up disc for the Zone Alarm software, uninstall the program and check if you get the error message.

Sam.

Hi,
Got this info on the Net. Stmgr is a part of the System Restore feature of Windows ME. You can try disabling the System Restore feature by navigating to Control Panel>System Properties>Performance>File System>Troubleshooting>Disable System Restore (Last option). And restart PC.

Thanks for the advice, Sam. I finally did a clean uninstall & reinstall of ZA Security Suite, and that seems to have solved the problem. I was a little worried about disabling Stmgr in case there's ever a need to use SysRestore, so am glad uninstall/reinstall worked. Thank you again sooo much for your response and help...they still haven't answered on the ZA forum. :\

Pleasure assisting you. Though I wish I knew what was causing the error :o

Sam

Me too...because it came up again. I just didn't wait long enough for it to show up after the ZA reinstall & rebooting. Guess I'm back to square one. Can't find the answer anywhere so far, including support.microsoft.com, so I may just have to live with it. ahhhh well.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.