Hi,
I am running window 98 on a slow computer. I had this same problem last year but it went away all on it's own. My problem is when I try to shut down or restart, my computer locks up completely on the "Windows 98 Shutting Down Please Wait" screen. I have waited for long periods of time and it does nothing. It does not respond. I have to manually turn off my computer. Then it will start up normally the next time but still have the problem with shutting down. I've tried to make sure I have all the current updates and drivers to fix the problem, but have not found anything that has worked. Does anyone know what I can do? This is getting really annoying.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I went to that web site and it is for windows98 second edition. I have the firsr edition so I don't think that will work. Are there any other suggestions?

I am running Windows 98 on a slow computer. My problem is when I try to shut down or restart, my computer locks up completely on the "Windows 98 Shutting Down Please Wait" screen. I have waited for long periods of time and it does not respond. I have to manually turn off my computer.

Quite likely, this is actually a hardware problem, either a loose board/dirty contact in the system itself or a corrupted driver ("slow" = "old" so dust/dirt can cause problems). At shutdown, each hardware device "signs off." If the board has a dirty contact (for example) or a corrupted driver it can't always properly acknowledge the shutdown command. It's still possible for it to boot up and run normally in this situation. First, check that all boards are properly seated in their sockets. Second, it's not a bad idea to pull each board and clean the edge-contacts with isopropyl alcohol, 91-99% pure (70% rubbing alcohol is not appropriate; an isopropanol "drygas" such as Iso-HEET works well for this). Last, check to ensure that all drivers are as up-to-date as possible.

I went to that web site and it is for windows98 second edition. I have the firsr edition so I don't think that will work. Are there any other suggestions?

That basically just leads you to the Windows Update site, go there and get all your Critical Updates and see if there is one that says Shutdown Patch.

Thank you sooo much TallCool1. It worked. I looked inside and there didn't seem too much dust so I went exploring and carefully took apart my power supply. It had layers upon layers of dust. I blew it out put my computer back together, booted and then rebooted. The reboot was the fastest I have seen my computer do in years. I think everything is running faster. Thankyou so much. I didn't know what to do. :D

Same thing has happened in my pc with a little difference.It is responing to retart command only but not in shut down command and start indos mode command.It hangs in the the midway with the message"windows is shutting down".My pc is p3 with win 98se ATX.Please help me also.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.