The brightness on my laptop is super dim all of a sudden. It worked fine yesterday, but then last night the brightness was gone. I've tried using the Fn key at the same time pressing F8 to increase the brightness, but nothing happens. I tried looking for any brightness option/setting in BIOS, but found nothing. It's literally so dim, I have to use a flash light just to make out the words. I wouldn't think this would be an issue, but I did just hook up a new wireless router on Saturday. I do have my laptop plugged in and my power saving settings seem to be ok.

I appreciate any help.

THanks,

Ryan

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

That will be a failed backlight driver board! You will need to take it to your nearest repair shop and get it replaced!

I thought about that. But it could also be my inverter, correct? Maybe I'll get a test bulb to find out. Cuz replacing the inverter would be much cheaper since I can do that myself. Is it hard to replace the backlight? I don't know an immense amount, but I do know a little about the insides of a computer; however, this is my first try at a laptop.

Thanks

Driver board, inverter, 2 names for the same thing really. Do not put a test bulb on it or you will electrocute yourself as they put out upto 3000 volts.

To replace it, you will need to get the front bezel off of your screen as almost all inverters are located there.
You will need the correct part for your make and model of laptop and you will need to be careful and mithodical when working as the clips that hold your laptop together can easily be broken id forced apart incorrectly. You will also need to make sure you know what screw fits into which hole as serious damage can be caused by fitting too long a screw into the wrong hole.

I have my very own computer repair business so I know first hand just how much care needs to be taken with a job like this!

I've already got the front bezel off and tried to examine the inverter; however, there's some plastic sheath around it that's taped so I can't really get a good look to see if the board has blown anywhere.

Ok, so you were referring to the same thing that I was calling an inverter? Good to know it's also called a backlight driver board. I guess replacing that will be my first step.

Thank you.

Don't bother with examining it as it's usually the coils that blow usually leaveing no visible evidence. Just get a replacement and your problem will be solved! :)

Cool. Thanks Rik. I know you've helped me before in the past with stuff I've posted; I appreciate it.

Absolutely no problem at all! I am glad to be of some small assistance! :)

Rik - I replaced the backlight driver board and voila! Works perfectly. Thanks for your input.

Now, how do I mark this thread as solved?

Good to hear! Glad you are sorted! :)

As for marking the thread solved, I have no idea, never had to do it myself!

I figured it out. Thanks again!

you can find the "mark as solved" link at the bottom of this post

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.