Member Avatar for aaafan

I need to reinstall Java RE but when I try to uninstall it does not show in the Control Panel.

I have downloaded the latest version and when I try to install it says there is a version already there 'would I like to reinstall'. The Windows Installer pops up and say this only available for products that are not already installed.

Any ideas welcome.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

It could be in the Add/Remove programs as something other then Java, such as Sun Microsoft.

Have a look for that, if its not there, it could be in All Programs, with an uninstall option.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Try this: download this removal tool, JavaRa: http://sourceforge.net/projects/javara/files/javara/JavaRa/JavaRa.zip/download ; Unzip, and dclick JavaRa.exe. In the box that pops press Remove Older Versions.
You might also then try to update Java using the Update button; select the first option, to use jucheck.exe [that will work if Java is actually installed].

Thanks.

It ran and produced a log file but when I tried to install (both methods) it said the latest version was already installed.

Member Avatar for aaafan

It could be in the Add/Remove programs as something other then Java, such as Sun Microsoft.

Have a look for that, if its not there, it could be in All Programs, with an uninstall option.

No, not showing

Mmm... okay, it is a windows Installer problem... let's clean that up. Download this pgm, Msizap.exe, and copy it to your C: root. Do not dclick msizap.exe!!! Instead, open a cmd window and drag in Msizap.exe, then on that cmd line add..
g -so that the full cmd is "msizap.exe g"
Run that.
And try to update again.
---To get Msizap.exe, download this: http://rafaelwolf.com/sharedfiles/msizap.rar
Extract, and then copy only Msizap.exe to your c: root. You don't need the other files in that package; it is safe to delete them..

It is also available from here: http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Installer_CleanUp_Utility_d4459.html
-in this case you are downloading msicuu2.exe -dclick this to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, then from its program folder copy msizap.exe to C:
-you can then uninstall the cleanup utility that was just installed; you only need msizap.exe. And run as above in a cmd window...
msizap.exe g

Member Avatar for aaafan

Thanks. I have downloaded msizap.rar but how do I extract msiexec.exe?

Ignore. I have just done a search and it seems it is already installed in C:\I386 and C:\windows\system32 amongst other places

Howver Iv'e jut realised you say run msiexec.exe g in one message and msizap.exe g in the othe. I am a bit confused

Member Avatar for aaafan

PS I also seem to have 3 versions od msizap.exe

Oh, crikey! So sorry, I typed in the wrong file name!! Here is the offending post reworded. [I'll get a mod to edit the original for me.]
It is also available from here: http://majorgeeks.com/Windows_Instal...ity_d4459.html
-in this case you are downloading msicuu2.exe -dclick this to install the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility, then from its program folder copy msizap.exe to C:
-you can then uninstall the cleanup utility that was just installed; you only need msizap.exe. And run as above in a cmd window...
msizap.exe g

In the rar package from http://rafaelwolf.com/sharedfiles/msizap.rar there are just two versions of msizap.exe - msizapU.exe is also renamed to msizap.exe, ready to run.
MsizapA.exe is for Windows 98 etc.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Well it seemed to do something. What looked like a DOS window opened and listed a few things that it had removed but it disappeared to quickly to catch it.

Can I now try to reinstall Java althogh it is not showing in Add/Remove, I assume it won't show intil reinstalled.

Thanks

Hi. If you opened the cmd window and there ran...
msizap.exe g
the window would have hung around for you to read and then close. Running that command from the Run box will do the same job, but as you found, the cmd winndow does not remain. No matter, it would have listed what it had done.
So, try to install Java RE now.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Thanks but it still says "You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 22)."

However I have found a way to overcome my original reason for reistalling in the Java Console. Perhaps I'll just wait for the next update from Java

Thanks for your help.

Fair enough. If you have deleted all Sun Java pgm files, and any in Application Data, and because I cannot find in registry where the pgm version is picked up, then I do not know where to look next. If it is not a reg read, then it has to come from a file somewhere. I imagine one in system32, possibly javacpl.cpl.
Anyway...

Member Avatar for aaafan

I'm not sure I understand. Should I have manually deleted all the Java folders?

When Java Update is run it does a version check, then compares that with the website. I have monitored what happens on my computer, and cannot see it check that information from the registry entries, and so i assume that the updater takes its version info from one of Java's files. I cannot tell which one; several have version information in them.
Why not test your Java by visiting their website http://www.java.com/en/download/help/windows_manual_download.xml -the test applet is at the foot of that page. And if it does not pass, then you can use those instructions to brute-force install Java correctly.

Member Avatar for aaafan

It says there is nothing wrong with the version I have and as before refuses to install it as it already there.

Well, that is interesting, because my Java is up-to-date and working correctly; if I run the topmost, online installer on that page it downloads the file and then comments "The software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"
Simple as that. It reinstalls it.

Download this pgm, Msizap.exe, and copy it to your C: root. Do not dclick msizap.exe!!! Instead, open a cmd window and drag in Msizap.exe, then on that cmd line add..
Run that.

Member Avatar for aaafan

gerbil

Yes I get as far as that and when I respond yes I get another message saying it can't install it as that version is aready there. It gives no option to continue.

Member Avatar for aaafan

Download this pgm, Msizap.exe, and copy it to your C: root. Do not dclick msizap.exe!!! Instead, open a cmd window and drag in Msizap.exe, then on that cmd line add..
Run that.

Thanks. I tried that earlier (see posts above).

I won't be on my own pc for a few days. I'll try again then.

I see, aaafan. Then perhaps you could strong-arm it; delete the pgm files folder Java and its contents, plus the system32 file javacpl.cpl. There are other files in system32, but that one is the one Java reads to open. There are reg keys too, but they would be rewritten when you do a fresh installation, and as I said before, I cannot see Java taking its version info from reg reads. Anyway... it is strange... most pgms are written so as to not mind being installed over the top of themselves; sometimes there are glitches and doing that swiftly repairs them. But try ther offline download.. a manual installer download.

Member Avatar for aaafan

I see, aaafan. Then perhaps you could strong-arm it; delete the pgm files folder Java and its contents, plus the system32 file javacpl.cpl. There are other files in system32, but that one is the one Java reads to open. There are reg keys too, but they would be rewritten when you do a fresh installation, and as I said before, I cannot see Java taking its version info from reg reads. Anyway... it is strange... most pgms are written so as to not mind being installed over the top of themselves; sometimes there are glitches and doing that swiftly repairs them. But try ther offline download.. a manual installer download.

Thanks. I'll give it a try when I get back

Member Avatar for aaafan

Thanks. I tried that earlier (see posts above).

I won't be on my own pc for a few days. I'll try again then.

I have found that the problem that was causing me to think I had to reinstall was in fact in the application. I have fixed in in the Java control panel.

The basic question hasn't been resolved but I can live with it.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.