Fine, Maurice. I was doing some exploring there as regards folders.
So if dclicking the smax4pnp.exe file gets the icon set correctly then this reg entry should do just that action but at startup:

==Please copy the text in the box to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as fixkey.reg to your desktop; dclick it to run... agree; if it opens in notepad instead rclick the icon [file], choose Merge, else choose Open with, Registry editor....

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SoundMAXPnP" = "C:\\Program Files\\Analog Devices\\soundmax\\smax4pnp.exe"

There is at the moment no value named as such in your reg, hence no conflict. To test, just restart your machine. If it does not work for you after a restart then this next file will remove that value from your registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"SoundMAXPnP" =-

I have just posted a reply, but it asked me to log in as a new user and then said that the name was taken already.

Bleh . . .I hate when that happens!

Give Gerbil's suggestion a try.

I had noticed that the 04 HJT startup in question did not come back after the restore of those "fixed" items, but I think I dismissed it a bit prematurely. I'd hate for it to be something as simple as that.
Try merging that in as Gerbil described and reboot.

Let us know how it shakes out.

PP:)

Dear friends,

It seems that the whole of my reply of some 24 hours ago went into the ether. What I said was that I had tried all the suggestions and I got the same error message each time. I tried merging this morning again and got the same message as before:

"Cannot import C:\Documents and Settings\Maurice\Desktop\fixkey.reg. The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files into the registry editor"

Yours,

Moggie

Um, moggies, those are valid scripts. There is a blank line at the bottom; be sure to include that for the <CR>.

"copy the text in the box to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as fixkey.reg", just to reiterate.

"copy the text in the box to a notepad [format/wordwrap unchecked] and save as fixkey.reg", just to reiterate.

I have attached AddIt.reg - Just extract it from the Zip and doubleclick it.

Reboot and let's see where we are. Hopefully we'll get lucky and this will sort it out.

I still don't know why that entry was not restored with the others....

Cheers :)
PP

Dear PP,

1. I double-clicked Addit and got the message that the information had been successfully added to the Registry.

2.I then re-booted and Hooray ! It worked. The Soundmax crossed through icon disappeared from the system tray and was present in the Start Menu. Clicking the icon there brought up Soundmax. I am so grateful to you and to Gerbil for spending so much time over this seemingly intractable problem.

Yours,

Moggie

Wah!! Why would not a reg editor version 5.00 script run whereas a regedit4 would? For XP Home??
The Word from M$: "RegistryEditorVersion is either "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00" for Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003, or "REGEDIT4" for Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0. The "REGEDIT4" header also works on Windows 2000-based, Windows XP-based, and Windows Server 2003-based computers."
I mean, I used to use regedit4 as the header, but swapped because my sys punches out the other in exports. Both work here, just fine. Sigh...
So, moggie, if you export a key to a reg file, it is not headed Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ?

Dear PP and Gerbil,

I opened Registry Editor and found that it is version 5.1

Yours,

Moggie

Wah!! Why would not a reg editor version 5.00 script run whereas a regedit4 would? For XP Home??

I think it was a formatting issue - those seem to be going around this thread ;)

I then re-booted and Hooray ! It worked. The Soundmax crossed through icon disappeared from the system tray and was present in the Start Menu. Clicking the icon there brought up Soundmax. I am so grateful to you and to Gerbil for spending so much time over this seemingly intractable problem.

Cool!
We're happy to help. :)

I'm glad gerbil jumped back in and pointed us in the right direction. I mean, logically I should have seen it as a result of our removing those reg keys and having the one not return. But, I was too hasty to dismiss it because I figured that the icon would be completely gone as well (if that makes sense). Still don't see why they have two 04 startups for that....

Anyhoo, I am glad that is sorted!

-- So, where do we stand now? Is everything finally back to normal?

PP

Not formatting, PP, that WREV 5.00 script enters the value into my registry just fine. It is the header that his machnie seems to be incompatible with, but i do not understand why.

Not formatting, PP, that WREV 5.00 script enters the value into my registry just fine. It is the header that his machnie seems to be incompatible with, but i do not understand why.

Yeah - you're right about the formatting.
Most likely a copy and paste problem. I bet if you attached it it would work fine....
5.00 should work just fine on Maurice's machine.

That is a good point you have. I think I shall zip my scripts from now on, less opportunity for errors to creep in if all they have to do is unzip and dclick, not even any need to save the file.
Well, error on their part. :)

Dear friends,

I am sorry to be slow in replying- more interventions from builders and another printer problem. Yes every thing in regard to the above and I am very grateful for your help. The other problem that I have is that I have tried to re-install my HP Officejet 5510 printer and the installation CD has become corrupted and downloading the latest software from the web does not work since the installation software at one point calls for the CD to be inserted in the drive. Now HP in the UK cannot supply any CDs at present because the computer system of their only authorized 3rd. party supplier of such things is 'down' and they wont take an order by phone ! So I am looking for such a CD. HP USA will supply one, but only to the USA and Canada. I have a local consultant who is trying to sort something out. He knows HP products.

Yours,

Moggies

The other problem that I have is that I have tried to re-install my HP Officejet 5510 printer and the installation CD has become corrupted and downloading the latest software from the web does not work since the installation software at one point calls for the CD to be inserted in the drive.

And here I thought computers were supposed to make our lives easier...! ;)

- - That is just stupid. Isn't the point of having the software available for download aimed at those who don't have an installation CD?
Surely there should be a complete installation package available...

Doesn't this work? ---> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-23606-3&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&os=228&product=311255&sw_lang=

PP, may I butt in again? And puters are the most fault-prone appliance you may ever use...
Maurice, did you actually get a message mentioning file or driver corruption? Or was the cd not recognised at all?
If the former, you might try this so that we may check the values in a couple of registry keys, because I see that you have at least one burning software [Ulead]; are there others?

Go to this web page: http://www.bustrace.com/downloads/free_utilities.php
Towards the bottom of the utilities list you will find Filter Driver Load Order v1.0.009
-click devfilter.exe, and Run it from the site [no need to dl unless you really wish]. Select your cd drive in the window that pops, and click Clipboard. Save to a notepad, and paste into your next post.

PP, may I butt in again?

By all means - any extra brainpower is always appreciated :)

-- I, too, wondered about the disk and assumed it was unreadable. And, we all know about assumptions.....

PP

Gentlemen,

Many thanks to both of you. As to the first point. When I am part way through using my original installation CD, up come a message saying that there is an error and the installation cannot be completed. It turns out from various other sources that what is missing is a file called TWAIN which contains the scanning software. even when I have downloaded the file that you suggest from the web the problem persists and 'Twain' does not seem to be installed. On trying to scan anyway an error message comes up .The computer cannot communicate with the scanning device.' That error message is listed on the HP help site for 'The scanning device could not be initialized' and related scanning error messages Display in Windows'.
There are 6 possible solutions running over 12 pages when printed off.Each time I get down one of these paths and use the diagnostics there, the advice comes up 'you must download and install the latest drivers'. That's ironic since I have them on the machine. I have in fact cleared out HP and re-installed some 3 times, all to no avail.
Also, looking on the web, I find a multitude of complaints about HP service and the service of its agent Best2Serve. Sometimes people pay and get no product delivered.

Yours,

Maurice

It turns out from various other sources that what is missing is a file called TWAIN which contains the scanning software. even when I have downloaded the file that you suggest from the web the problem persists and 'Twain' does not seem to be installed.

Hey Maurice,

Sorry I didn't get back to you. Was tied up with family and the holidays.

Have you gotten this sorted or should we take a whack at it?

Best :)
PP

Dear PP,

Many thanks. I have sorted it out. The solution (solution 7 in the HP list) involved clearing out old HP entries in the registry and then re-installing. Everything is now working fine, as from last night.

Y
Yours,

Maurice

Everything is now working fine, as from last night.

Great!
Darn glad to hear that.

Hope you and yours have an excellent Holiday Season!

PP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.