I have bought XP Professional and when I try and upgrade my Home Edition PC it says that the version is newer than the one I am trying to install.

I have uninstalled all the hotfixes and patched that I can but there are still 5 or 6 left which it wont let me uninstall - is this the reason why it wont let me install professional on this PC. This is driving me crazy, please can somebody help?

Thanks

Mark Auty

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If your version of Professional isn't patched with SP2, that is your problem. You might just have to install over the current version of XP.

If your version of Professional isn't patched with SP2, that is your problem. You might just have to install over the current version of XP.

It wont let me install over current version and I cant buy Professional with Service Pack 2 already installed on CD!

The PC wont let me uninstall ALL of the hotfixes in add/remove programs and service Pack 2 isnt even listed there but it is on the PC as when I right click my computer and then properties it says it has service pack 2 still installed.

What is the best way around this - to find Professional with Service Pack 2 on and install over top?

This has been a nightmare. Thanks for your help.

The best way around it, is to back up all your data, make a note of any configuration information, (such as drivers), and reinstall XP Home, (as long as it is not a SP2 Edition). Then upgrade to Pro over the top, and then let MS update take care of SP2 and hotfixes again.

This is the only way imo, to avoid an extra cost of XP Pro SP2.

Thanks for this but this means reinstalling all the drivers for scanner, printer etc does it?

Yes it does, but, this is the only possibility to avoid extra expendature.

At least this way, you get to make a note of everything that currently exists, how it is set up. for example I always list device manager, if i think that I might have problems with default drivers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.