I managed to goof up big time. I tried loading Mcafee while Norton was running. Needless to say computer didn’t like it. I was barely able to do a restore and get back to almost working. Last problem appears to be a tough one to crack. Everything works except Microsoft XP Outlook. When I try and start it I get this:
Failed to register a VB Script DLL. Reinstall or run Regsvr32.exe Vbscript.dll to self register. The key ‘Display name’ is either missing or has an incorrect value. [File C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office 10\forms\1033\SECREC(2).CFG, Section Description]
Fixes I’ve tried and failed with:
1. Uninstall and reinstall office
2. Restore Computer to earliest state
3. Change VBscript.dll to vbscript.dll.old and do a repair
4. Start-Run-Regsvr32.exe Vbscript.dll (Says it succeeded)
5. Start-Run-Command, ok, cd\windows\system enter, regsvr32vbscript.dll enter, exit (or http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q271141/)
6. Ran program dllregsvr.exe from site chestysoft.com
7. Changed and added some registry keys thus:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"AllowWindowReuse"=dword:00000000 [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\InternetShortcut\shell\Open In New Window\command]
@="rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %1" Note: I was walked through this, I’m not that technical
Running windows XP and office XP

So this is a challenge if you want to attack it.
Thanks

Nevermind, found an easy fix after 2 weeks of searching

I've been searching for a solution to this problem for a long time. I run XP and Office XP, haven't been able to open Outlook directly (I have been using Search Using Outlook, when it finds an email, I click on that and Outlook opens).

But it's a real pest because I travel constantly and sometime am not able to get online.

i'd be most grateful if you could share the solution with me.

After much trial & error this fixed the problem:

Run the Windows Installer CleanUp utility to remove the Windows Installer registry settings, and then reinstall Office.

To do this, follow these steps:
1. Download, install, and then run the Windows Installer CleanUp utility to remove the Windows Installer registry settings that are associated with your Office installation. The following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
msicuu2.exe
(or find the link at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q295823 )

To use the Windows CleanUp utility, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, point to Programs, and then click Windows Install Clean Up.
b. Select the program that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
c. Click OK, and then click Exit.

Then reinstall Office.

Hoorah! :D

It will be great if u could share the solution with all of us so that we too can reap the benifit of u'r extensive search. I have been unable to find a solution so far.

Thanks in advance.

See my response of Jun 20th 2005, 12:46 PM above. Click on the link and download the file suggested.

Cheers

Thanks OutLookCrasher. Game for a go.

alice

Boy, am I glad I read this. HP had me about to run VBSCRIPT to fix a printer error. Since nothing else they have suggested has worked, I think I will pass on this opportunity to take an unecessary chance. If I find anything out from HP about it, I will come back.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.