I just completed a clean reinstall of Windows 98se on my P3 650 which went surprisingly well. Everything is up and running well with the exception of the USB port. I've installed the driver from the original purchase (the one that worked great for the past 7 years). I've reinstalled the all drivers for the things that connect to the USB (Wingman, Sandisk reader). The HP printer software wouldn't load as it said the USB wasn't connected.

I have one of those 4-way hub USB things that I've used for the past while. The lights on it confuse me but may offer a clue as to why it's not working properly.
When the cable is plugged into the computer and the power to the outlet, the light on the USB hub is orange. When I unplug the power and leave the cable to the computer attached, the light on the hub goes green. When I unplug the cable and leave the power attached, the light goes red.

The four lights on the hub that indicate the connecting devices do not come on no matter what combination I try, or drivers I load, then reboot.

There must be some way to get this USB show on the road. I can't print anything and I need to get this thing working. Any thoughts???

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try deleting the driver for the usb & reboot. Be sure to unplug everything from the usb ports before rebooting.Do not plug anything in until the driver reinstalls itself. Good luck.

I just completed a clean reinstall of Windows 98se on my P3 650 which went surprisingly well. Everything is up and running well with the exception of the USB port. I've installed the driver from the original purchase (the one that worked great for the past 7 years). I've reinstalled the all drivers for the things that connect to the USB (Wingman, Sandisk reader). The HP printer software wouldn't load as it said the USB wasn't connected.

I have one of those 4-way hub USB things that I've used for the past while. The lights on it confuse me but may offer a clue as to why it's not working properly.
When the cable is plugged into the computer and the power to the outlet, the light on the USB hub is orange. When I unplug the power and leave the cable to the computer attached, the light on the hub goes green. When I unplug the cable and leave the power attached, the light goes red.

The four lights on the hub that indicate the connecting devices do not come on no matter what combination I try, or drivers I load, then reboot.

There must be some way to get this USB show on the road. I can't print anything and I need to get this thing working. Any thoughts???

Thanks

Go to Mycomputer-Properties-Device Manager and see whether there is any yellow mark on any device and let us know what it is

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.