Everytime i click the Norton system tray icon, double clicking it the screen suddenly flashes black for 2 seconds and then a quick image of my current screen except from 1024 x 768 it flashes a size 800 x 600 in distorted colours. This ONLY happens when i systray click the Norton icon, everything else if fine.:evil:

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

h to the e to the l to the p to the space to the p to the l to the e to the a to the s to the e to the right now.

have you updated it?
p.s. your not going to get too many positive responses with a thread like that ^

updated it? like updated the virus definitions or the actual program, i've done both :p

and...

my thread would have died with no replies if i didnt bump it up with that post, yes it is kind of rude, sorry bout that.

so just type in BUMP !:)

bumpadiddlyump

have you tried going to options in NAV and clicking defaut all a long shot but might help!?

I don't know the answer to you problem but it could well be a virus !!
What happens when you click on the norton icon in start/all programs .

it blinks too! omg im scared :( and drummerboy, i clicked default and it cleared the fact that when it blinks it goes to 800x600 image with distorted colours. Now its just *click* *screen turns black* *after 5 seconds* *where i last left it at*.

have you ever use Spybot or Ad-aware ,if not look in my signature[adware tools] and download ,install and update and run them one at a time .

Try rebooting in Safe Mode with Networking, and run HouseCall on www.trendmicro.com ^^ If it's a virus, another virus scanner will pick it up and be able to clean it, especially if it's not running.

Hi Afdrano,

First of all i wanted to know which OS you are using now. If you are using 2K then did u installed RPC & RPCSS Patches, If no then pls install it from microsoft updates, If yes then do the following:-

Go to Start>Run>then type CMD>Change the directory From C:to Cdrom(E:). then type SFC / Scannow.

After compleating this command type SFC / Quiet.
NOTE: Dont Forget to insert the CD of your Os in CD Drive

Windows XP Home Edition. its so weird this is only happening with Norton. all my other systray icons are fine.

I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it.

1. uninstall Norton , do a search for Symantec files and delete these

2. run anti spyware like spybot or Microsoft.

3. In safemode with networking run a online antivirus scan. Trend Micro has one.

4. Reinstall Norton.

5. If Norton is still coming up with the 8-bit screen then Norton is stuck in 95 compatibility mode. Search for Navwnt.exe, Navw32.exe, Nmain.exe. right click on them and go to properties. Under compatibility make sure nothing is checked.

I had the same problem and this is how I fixed it.

1. uninstall Norton , do a search for Symantec files and delete these

2. run anti spyware like spybot or Microsoft.

3. In safemode with networking run a online antivirus scan. Trend Micro has one.

4. Reinstall Norton.

5. If Norton is still coming up with the 8-bit screen then Norton is stuck in 95 compatibility mode. Search for Navwnt.exe, Navw32.exe, Nmain.exe. right click on them and go to properties. Under compatibility make sure nothing is checked.

I too had the prolem sept i couldnt even remove it from the add/remove programs i had to use the disk and check uninstall (i think). then reinstalled.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.