When I switch on my computer XP I have to type in my "password". I am unable to type my password as I cannot type anything. How can I retrieve the printing process which doesn't seem to be working.? I can't get past the "Password"-Is there any way I can get the typing working again?:?:

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

Use the on screen keyboard available in the log on screen. You should be able to click somewhere that says ease of access or something similar. I forget exactly as its been a while since i used xp.

uh steve sir, i don't think xp has the on-screen keyboard, but i could be wrong.

hehheh....i wonder if it's a stolen computer!

I believe you may be wrong. I remember using one in xp under accessibility tools. However, it might be after sp2 updates.

Seems so long ago. :)

Try another keyboard.

See whether your keyboard has any problem. If you use another keyboard and that does not work, it maybe be the USb port problem is you are using a usb cable for your keyboard. Change port. Before you type in your password, make sure you click on the username before you type. Some Os require you to click on the username before you type and not type in the password box straight away. Your problem is the same as mine so hopefully, it will work.

turns out xp does have on-screen keyboard, but you can't get to it from the welcome screen

See whether your keyboard has any problem.

Didn't I say that?

Didn't I say that?

Yes, you did. But i did add it extra information. Are you copying me, because of what i did yesterday. i remembered, saying the same thing. Like, Isn't that why i said before or something like that. Did you delete the spam post i reported, crunchie?

Is your problem solved, kitdel. Because it seems that someone mark this thread as solved.

Did you delete the spam post i reported, crunchie?

Not guilty :)

I am using my other computer at the moment - I am going to try another keyboard later on for the other computer-but the problem hasn't been solved yet. By the way my computer is "not stolen" as suggested.

i was just joking, because if it was stolen, you could just reinstall XP to get it
running.
-edit- unless its got TPM hardware! please ignore me for the rest of this thread.
i don't know the answer for this, so i will just sit back and watch.

It appears the problem is not the password itself, but the inability to actually enter it.
Thread title is a little misleading.

If your problem is not currently solved then you can buy another keyboard from the nearest store and it will work fine.
If nothing helps you can always find a nearest computer repair shop.

After you try using another keyboard on the computer tell us whether it works. if not follow my post on the first page. The one that asks you to click on the username first before you type in the password. Good luck to you kitdel.

where is the OP,why not wit till they respond to the first few post !
this is getting old!my opinion

I have tried another keyboard but still I can't get past the Password. Thanks for all your help - I appreciate you all trying to help me.

You obviously don't know the password. That being the case, there is not a lot we can do for you.

I was going to post this long ago,but waited !

try hitting f8 on bootup and going into safe mode ,xp should have a administrator accct that in most cases isn't passworded ,if so ,enter it, and go to control panel/users/yourusername/and remove the password!good luck

commented: worth a try +0

@ the OP. Does this mean you are having exactly the same problem as stated in your first post?

When I switch on my computer XP I have to type in my "password". I am unable to type my password as I cannot type anything.

To me that reads that you cannot type any letters etc.
Is it a PS2 keyboard? If so, try a USB one.

Beside replacing the keyboard kitdel. Have you follow my instructions on the first page. Click on the username first before typing in the password.
What is your account status, like are you the admin or not. How many accounts are there on the laptop? If there are more than one, try logging in with different account. The problem might be with your account but i doubt it.

Just checking with you. How did it go, is your problem solved or not?

I've tried everything suggested but still I can't get further than "Password" as I can't type anything. I have another computer which I am using. I think I will have to get someone to look at the computer for me. Thanks everybody-good of you all to try and help me.

My turn. First, to test the keyboard and driver...
If you are not the only user will the up/down arrow keys move the cursor at logon from one user to the next?
Try to enter BIOS Setup - can you, and does the system respond to the keyboard here?
If no to both then you have a hardware keyboard/motherboard problem [or BIOS is corrupt, which is unlikely as it can boot to Windows [you get as far as logon, so Windows is loaded]].
If yes, then have you tried entering Safe mode with the Administrator password [or via your logon as an administrator]? If the keyboard does respond here then it is likely a malware issue : MBAM.

I've tried everything suggested but still I can't get further than "Password" as I can't type anything. I have another computer which I am using. I think I will have to get someone to look at the computer for me. Thanks everybody-good of you all to try and help me.

perhaps we could help you better if you'd answer or talkback to us ,you never answered as to what type of keyboard ,you never responded to my suggestion of trying safe mode ,so we don't even know what happened when and if you tried that .so speak to us!

Thr problem now does not lies with the keyboard but the inability to type the password. CAn you show us an image of the login screen. I need to see what it is like. What type of keyboard are you using? If you are using a USB one try switching ports. Plug the keyboard into another USB port. And also tells us what steps you have tried before so we won't repeat them again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.