my daughters laptop will not connect to the internet. atat says it is not there problem and acer will not help. please help ,thanks ronbeany

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Wirelessly or wired?

Wirelessly or wired?

wirelessly

my daughters laptop will not connect to the internet. atat says it is not there problem and acer will not help. please help ,thanks ronbeany

Can u provide some more information so that we can figure out a reason?

Your using XP right? So you click on the wireless connections then click on the network you wish to connect to.

Then you click on you network, Does it show your connected?

Is there no password on the network?

Can u provide some more information so that we can figure out a reason?

the computer works fine ,but she cannot connect with int. explorer or mozilla. and att says the router and there connection is fine.

the computer works fine ,but she cannot connect with int. explorer or mozilla. and att says the router and there connection is fine.

Some particular sites or all sites are disabled?? Is she able to access using any other software(messenger/torrent downloader/etc.etc.) ??
Do you have any firewal installed?? which anti-virus program are you using?? Which OS are you using??

edit : To check, open command prompt(start/run/'cmd') and type in 'ping www.google.com' and see if you get a response..

I checked the same issue on some forums and here are the replies i found:

I got Windows 98 on another partition of the same machine, I just use it so rarely that I hadn't thought of it! When I booted Windows 98 and connected to the internet, everything worked lightning fast, so I knew the problem had to be related to Windows XP.

I also remember someone saying on the internet that the problem described above occurs often on Windows XP after while, so now I just spent the whole night reinstalling.

I am still busy restoring my data from the backups, but my internet connection now works fine again. Don't know what messed it up, but reinstalling solved the problem.

Yes it worked, Norton was causing the problem. I had uninstalled it a week ago but it wasn't completely uninstalled so i used the Norton removal tool and after the reboot the net seemed to work just fine on all browsers.

Some particular sites or all sites are disabled?? Is she able to access using any other software(messenger/torrent downloader/etc.etc.) ??
Do you have any firewal installed?? which anti-virus program are you using?? Which OS are you using??

edit : To check, open command prompt(start/run/'cmd') and type in 'ping www.google.com' and see if you get a response..

thanks for your help, i will get back to you when i get some answers. all sites are disabled.she has norton antivirus, windows xp.

does the wireless icon in the lower right next to the clock show that you are connected to the network/your wireless router!
are you suing a AT&T wireless router/ modem combo .or there modem and your own wireless router

does the wireless icon in the lower right next to the clock show that you are connected to the network/your wireless router!
are you suing a AT&T wireless router/ modem combo .or there modem and your own wireless router

it shows not connected.

it shows not connected.

Well the problem is here, contact your ISP, its not a browser issue...When you are not connected to the net there is no question of the browser to open pages...

it shows not connected.

so try right clicking on it , you should see this .

Change Windows Firewall Settings
View Network Connections
Repair
View Available Wireless Networks,

click on available wireless networks and click on yours and click connect !

so try right clicking on it , you should see this .

Change Windows Firewall Settings
View Network Connections
Repair
View Available Wireless Networks,

click on available wireless networks and click on yours and click connect !

i did this and it shows connected to the network with low to nothing . it starts to connect and goes back to desktop. my laptop on the same network has a very high connection.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.