I read a few similar posts on here regarding web browsers not being able to access the Microsoft website. Some of them are solved, but I have been having this same issue and after trying EVERYTHING I have been able to read on this forum and others to solve it, I'm still not able to get it to work.
This started with a new computer, out of the box, and installed Windows XP on it. As soon as I finished all the Windows updates, I tried to go to Microsoft to download a few other apps, but couldn't get access. Funny thing is, my browser will access any other site and even some Microsoft sites like www.information.microsoft.com....just not anything with www.microsoft.***/*** at the beginging of the URL. This is the second time this has happened to me, with two different PC's.
I've tried different browsers as well, still no success.
I've tried the MTU thing, flushing DNS, host file..etc, etc....still nothing.
I'm confident there are no viruses, as this is a brand new computer, new build and all updates, virus scanner..etc. And has only been online long enough to run the security patches.