I have a secondhand motherboard running a 3 g processor with 2 g Ram and an 80g SATA HD, when i try to boot load windows 7 to a formatted drive I get "can not read from CD Code 5"

I can load other CD/DVDs to the drive but after that error It will not let me even load XP.

I have tried two different mother boards with the same result but if I try XP first it will load. After I try windows 7 it will not I just keep getting the same code 5.

I have loaded XP to the drive on another machine and when it tried to run on this one,but wouldn't, I booted with XP CD and repaired for no problems Then I could load windows 7 as another system making the old XP as "Windows.old' but giving me the option to run "old OS" on boot. I deleted the XP and now 7 is up and running but I do have another motherboard with the same problem.

Is there another way?

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

that sounds totally messed up,
are your installation disks genuine retail? or a downloaded hack?

yes, there are other ways, but it can get a little technical.
WindowsAIK(auto installation kit) is useful(but you need to learn how to use it,instructions are included, i believe)

to fix your boot menu, you can use either msconfig or download EasyBCD

-edit- check the BIOS of the boards,maybe?

I have the original disk but wont use it, I use a copy that I have slipstream with SP1 and keep my original safe. I have used my disk on my Hard drive on another machine and it worked well and then I just formatted and installed XP to try and get it to work in this one. The machine are too different and it will not get to where I can install/repair XP or install Win 7.

How do I access MSCONFIG without something loaded to the hard drive/

What should i look for in the CMOS/BIOS?

I will download and try EasyBCD, but is that different to Hiren's CD or UBCD?

What should i do with it when i get it working on the machine?

Thank you for your help

I just downloaded EasyBCD and it just seems to work inside a windows installation?

Can I install Lynx or some other program to help me install windows?

it actually sounds like your board is fried. or your processor...
what computer is it? maybe i can look for what code 5 means...

turns out this problem happens alot when you burn your own disk, the dvd must be written at a slow speed as to avoid errors, there is tons of info if you google search, 'can not read from CD Code 5'

try using the original & see if that works

turns out this problem happens alot when you burn your own disk, the dvd must be written at a slow speed as to avoid errors, there is tons of info if you google search, 'can not read from CD Code 5'

try using the original & see if that works

I could easily understand that if the DVD did not work on other machines but it will do a full installation on another PC on my Hard drive with this same DVD reader.

I did Google the problem and read many articles about it and I did try the original DVD for the same result. I also read about changing the BIOS settings for the boot up and I have played with just about ever combination you can name and still no go.

I have two identical Motherboards with the same processor and the same result.

when you burn the dvd, make sure you burn it slow, and burn it as a 'bootable cd/dvd' and NOT a 'bootable UDF' . you might need to find out how many boot sectors are needed, but i'm not too sure about that.

also sometimes the board is so old it has no factory drivers built-in for dvd burners. in this case, you should boot from a USB 'answer file' or some other workaround(of which everybody seems to have an idea how) one way i just read about is to download something called 'ultimate boot'

sound to me like your board or cpu is fried, sorry.
that's a little bit beyond my skills...however i do know you can like reset to bios or whatever by setting the jumper to 'clear cmos'. then turn on the machine...

usually when 2 identical machines act differently it means 1 is broke, but if you don't want to give up, search for the 'answer file' online for the version of windows that you want. it's called autounattend.xml or i can make one for you. or you can make one for yourself by downloading windowsAIK....

good luck...but i am worried that the board is fried, because i'm out of ideas.

sound to me like your board or cpu is fried, sorry.
that's a little bit beyond my skills...however i do know you can like reset to bios or whatever by setting the jumper to 'clear cmos'. then turn on the machine...

usually when 2 identical machines act differently it means 1 is broke, but if you don't want to give up, search for the 'answer file' online for the version of windows that you want. it's called autounattend.xml or i can make one for you. or you can make one for yourself by downloading windowsAIK....

good luck...but i am worried that the board is fried, because i'm out of ideas.

Both Motherboards are the same and I get the same result. I can not install windows to either. I checked out the Windows AIK and it is for The Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK) helps you to install, customize, and deploy the Microsoft Windows Vista™ family of operating systems. And Validation is required.

Well I have only had a Vista OS for about 1 week and I deleted it and installed XP. I did not have a OS Disk as it was on a hidden partition which I also deleted, I just have the serial number, but I have no intentions of ever installing Vista ever.

is your machine 32-bit or 64-bit?
what version of windows do you want ? (e.g. starter,home,pro,ultimate)?

it will probably be easier if i just paste an answer file here for you to use...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="oobeSystem">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Deployment" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<Reseal>
<Mode>Audit</Mode>
</Reseal>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<OOBE>
<ProtectYourPC>1</ProtectYourPC>
<NetworkLocation>Home</NetworkLocation>
</OOBE>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<DiskConfiguration>
<Disk wcm:action="add">
<CreatePartitions>
<CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
<Order>1</Order>
<Size>200</Size>
<Type>Primary</Type>
</CreatePartition>
<CreatePartition wcm:action="add">
<Extend>true</Extend>
<Order>2</Order>
<Type>Primary</Type>
</CreatePartition>
</CreatePartitions>
<ModifyPartitions>
<ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
<Active>true</Active>
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>System</Label>
<Order>1</Order>
<PartitionID>1</PartitionID>
</ModifyPartition>
<ModifyPartition wcm:action="add">
<Format>NTFS</Format>
<Label>Windows</Label>
<Order>2</Order>
<PartitionID>2</PartitionID>
</ModifyPartition>
</ModifyPartitions>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>
</Disk>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</DiskConfiguration>
<ImageInstall>
<OSImage>
<InstallTo>
<DiskID>0</DiskID>
<PartitionID>2</PartitionID>
</InstallTo>
<InstallToAvailablePartition>false</InstallToAvailablePartition>
</OSImage>
</ImageInstall>
<UserData>
<ProductKey>
<Key>&lt;-- REPLACE WITH PRODUCT KEY --&gt;</Key>
</ProductKey>
<AcceptEula>true</AcceptEula>
</UserData>
</component>
</settings>
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<OEMInformation>
<Manufacturer>&lt;-- REPLACE WITH COMPANY NAME --&gt;</Manufacturer>
<HelpCustomized>false</HelpCustomized>
<SupportHours>&lt;-- REPLACE WITH SUPPORT HOURS --&gt;</SupportHours>
<SupportPhone>&lt;-- REPLACE WITH SUPPORT PHONE --&gt;</SupportPhone>
<SupportURL>&lt;-- REPLACE WITH SUPPORT URL --&gt;</SupportURL>
</OEMInformation>
</component>
</settings>
</unattend>

copy&paste that into notepad/wordpad .
replace capital letters with what you want
change <size> from 200 to what size partition
save, rename the text file from *.txt to autounattend.xml

put autounattend.xml on the root directory of a USB drive,
restart computer with install disc & usb thunbdrive

CORRECTION---do not change <size> 200(MB)

good luck & let us know what happens

Greetings,

Thank you for all your work, BUT................

I put the Hard drive in a Win 7 machine and formated it again, then booted the new motherboard with Windows 7 emergency boot disk.

I got into DOS, then "D" drive [the DVD] typed "setup.exe" and here I am using Win 7 on the machine that I could not load it onto before.

Again, thank you for all your help, I will mark this thread as solved.

commented: good work, but did you try the answer file? +4
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.