In advance, forgive my ignorance. I am not very computer literate. Here is my situation.

I have an older computer...Windows XP. Out of the blue, it dropped internet access. I did the typical start/restart the modem and router. After it connected to the router it stayed on "Acquiring Network Access". I tried to repair the connection but I received the same message.

I Googled what to do. At one point, I was instructed to run ip config. I received the following message:

Ethernet Adapter Wireless Connection 2:
Media State.....: Media Disconnected

Ethernet Adapter Wireless Connection 3:
Media State.....: Media Disconnected

I then ran an IP release command and received this message:

No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection 2 while is is Medial Disconnected. No Operation can be performed on Woreless Network Connection 3 while it is Media Disconnected.

I also received a message that stated the IP address was released but could not be used until the above was rectified.

Any thoughts on what to do? I have read through this forum and see this is not an uncommon problem. I tried most everything on this site. Some things were over my head so I stayed away from those as I did not want to do more damage.

In advance, thanks!!

Oh - If I may also add, when I look at the Network Connections, Wireless Network Connect 2 is stuck in Acquiring Network Address. Another Connection 2 is Connected. Lastly, Connection 3 is Network Cable Unplugged (though I have never had a cable for this in the past)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Also, I have tried deleting and reinstalling the drivers. That didn't work.

Can other computer connect to the network? Can you access the internet?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.