which version was popular before window 98?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Windows versions since I started supporting computers but not including the server versions:
Windows 286
Windows 386
Windows 3.0
Windows for Workgroups
Windows 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7

which version was popular before window 98?

During the years >1998, there was no popular version of Windows until after Windows 98. Windows 98 was the deal breaker when Windows ME came out. The deal being why there was no popular version is that the concept of having a desktop computer was new and due to the concept being new, everybody upgraded as the newer versions came out. It was only when people became smarter that less people updated less often but that only happened around about the time of Windows 2000 release.

During the years >1998, there was no popular version of Windows until after Windows 98. Windows 98 was the deal breaker when Windows ME came out.

[[[[
i don't get it ,that makes almost no sense to me

During the years >1998, there was no popular version of Windows until after Windows 98. Windows 98 was the deal breaker when Windows ME came out.

[[[[
i don't get it ,that makes almost no sense to me

Well in other words society has changed since >1998 since before 1998 everybody had thing thing where they must have the latest otherwise it was useless junk. But Windows ME changed all of that.

whilst recognissing the world changed it can be said (without bias)

Windows 3 /3.1 etc was the first of the mouse driven icon type programs and was OK but not very stable.
Win 95 was a muchbetter program more stable but although very good soon was seen to be outdated as the electrical technology moved too fast for win 95 to keep up.

Win 98 did well and met quite a lot of needs became popular and was not really overtaken until XP arrived. The reasons for that were
Msoft brought out 2000 for the business world but it could not cope with the gaming world and lacked drivers for peripherals.
Win ME was just a rewrite of 98 and did nothing for popularity.

So to quote again 'Horse for courses' !!
enjoy an oldie reminiscing!

M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.