I recently backed up computer for the first time using Microsoft installed backup function installed with xp. Backed up to external hard drive. I restarted the computer and now I have missing NTLDR. I tried to repair using the recovery disk I got with the computer. Problem is the computer is now looking at my external as the c: drive. How do I get the computer to recognize my c:drive as the internal rather than the external? I did the diagnostics on the internal HDD and it checked out ok.

Help

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

hi, i think unplugging the xternal ,then going into the bios and change boot order to the internal hdd

Thanks caper. I tried that without luck. Still missing. The computer came with vista that was downgraded to xp. I tried both recovery cd's and got nowhere with the xp disk. I get to the point where it is looking for the hdd. It can't find a valid drive. With the vista cd I got to an explorer screen and managed to copy every folder from my internal and put it on the external. No matter what I do I cannot get the computer to see the internal at boot. In the bios I have it set to look at internal hdd first. Problem is that file is still missing.

do a chkdsk /f /r and all will be well.

Boot with recovery disk, select recovery, chkdsk /f /r.

please post if you had any luck

I also have had the same missing ntldr error and solved it by copying ntldr from another machine
M

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.