Give me good advices how to make Windows 7 fast?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Did you try to search through Google before asking that question?

Did you try to search through Google before asking that question?

nope

nope

Your actually the first one to say that so...(what's the word?)... honestly... I think

Anyway I suggest to try searching through Google, then follow the steps from one the search results shown to make your OS perform faster

its already fast out of the box .what are the specs of you computer ,make and model # ,will do .or post the info ,like ram, CPU ,version of win7 you use ect ect

and i suggest you be careful using what you find through Google ,especially registry editors,you will find a lot of software programs claiming to speed it up ,but for best results adding hardware[ram faster harddrive ] ,and stopping programs from running at start up are your best options

Hi Zeroliken,

As Caperjack stated above, Windows 7 is relatively fast compared to Vista and XP, with two exceptions. The first is minimum memory requirement and second is the Games folder. Windows 7 wants at least 2 Gb of RAM and runs nicely on 4 Gb. If you don't have over 2 Gb of RAM, it will be caching to the harddrive constantly, so a fast harddrive and defragmentation will make a noticeable difference. If you want speed, I suggest either a RAID using 4 drives or a solid-state drive for the operating system. If you use a RAID drive, daily backups to a separate harddrive becomes more important because a failure on any of the 4 drives will increase probability of lost data.

Caperjack’s recommendation to limit programs at boot is applicable to all Windows operating systems now. As software manufacturer implement auto-update checks and the need for malware protection increases, I find my computers running slow for several minutes, while the anti-virus scans are run; Adobe, Java and several other programs check for updates. You would do that in msconfig. You type that in the Start menu’s “Search programs and files” box in the lower left corner and select the Startup tab.

Above, I mentioned the Games folder. You will find many people complaining about Windows Explorer running slow or even crashing when Games is selected from the Start Menu. This folder now does a search each time it opens. You will find many discussions on the topic using Google. My solution was to “Pin” my favorite game to the Taskbar to avoid using the Games folder altogether.

in addition to msconfig you could also try moving your page file to another hard drive that you use for storage not for installs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.