SO I was having some issues with my computer. some kind of virus crap or spyware. i ran norton and bulletproof and they seemed to clean alot of it, but it still wasnt working quite right. I decided to just reformat and reinstall. When I went to the install everything was normal, but then it wouldnt let me delete the c partition. It is the biggest main partition. it told me that there were setup files on it that it needed for XP installation. I have windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 2. I thought it was very wierd because Ive reinstalled before and not had problems reformating.
My friend who knows some more about computers than I do told me just to reinstall over it in the same partition. That was a problem. I got it all running, but I still have a lot of crap on here and some of it seems to be interfering with reinstalling programs like norton. Also I have a folder in documents and settings from the previous install that I can't access.
I just want to clear the drive and start over and reinstall windows XP. My friend and brother both seemed to not have any idea why I couldnt erase the partition. is there a command or way to get into dos and delete it or what.
Please help. I have no idea what to do.
Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

when you put in the xp cd go to install winxp and when you get there, delete the partition ,create a new partiton and reformat the drive then install xp

when you put in the xp cd go to install winxp and when you get there, delete the partition ,create a new partiton and reformat the drive then install xp

Yeah , I tried that, and that is the problem. It will not let me delete the partition. It says it cannot delete the partition because there are setup files on the partition needed for instillation

OK, go to www.bootdisk.com ,get a win98 bootdisk, copy to floppy ,boot you computer with it,at the command prompt type, FDISK , if you have it setup NTFS ,and not FAT ,go to[3]delete partition and delete non dos partition ,then run you xp cd to format the partition and install winxp

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.