Yesterday I received a blue screen while working. After a reboot, it now freezes each time on the Windows logo, and then throws a "Unexpected I/O" error. As a last resort, I boot from the Windows 7 DVD, and it froze on the "Loading Windows Files" progress bar, and promptly threw a "Unable to read a device connected to your computer". Error. I am able to run Windows Startup Repair by going to F8 on boot, but it only says that it connot repair. To troubleshoot, I have unplugged each hard drive one at a time, and tried to reboot each time. I have reboot on each of the ram modules installed by themselves with no luck. At this point, I can't even enter safe mode.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to get out of this mess?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

sounds like the hardrive with windows on it has gone bad ,remove it and connect it with usb device to a working computer to check further

Maybe is the time to format your hard drive and install the new Windows 8. I like them a lot.

I would go for the solution of replacing the hard drive. Don't know of any registry cleaner that actually does a good job and most of them let you scan but don't let you fix anything until you register and buy the program.

If the DVD is not booting, you can for the USB installation. You need a bootable USB device and plug in. All you need to so is just change the boot device priority to USB and press enter.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.