I am trying to clean my hard drive but when I run by DBAN disk I get this message:

non-fatal error /dev/sdb (process crash)

P.S I have no USB devices connected.

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

probably because windows7 and linux don't play well together. try using Disk Cleanup

besides, you don't have to erase the hard drive if all you are trying to do is clean it. just kidding i know what you mean. you can erase a hard drive with just about any type of OS install disc. just delete the partitions using the partitions manager then exit without installing. Linux Ubuntu is probably your best bet if you can't find a Microsoft disc.

/dev/sdb tells me you are running a Linux system, not windows. And dban is a "secure" disc wiper program. Finally, /dev/sdb is not necessarily a USB device. Since nothing in your post indicates that this is a USB device, why did you make that assumption?

only new when it comes to linux ,and only use a live Linux ,but i think /dev/sdb is the second disk in the boot menu ,and a usb would show as sdd1 because it a removable device and not hard disk
OP cold be using a bootable disk like Dariks Boot and nuke on one of the many othere boot disk around , on a windows install

only new when it come to linux ,and only use a live Linux ,but i think /dev/sdb is the second disk in the boot menu ,and a usb would show as sdd1 because it a removable device and not hard disk

No, not really. With current systems, usb drives appear as /dev/sdx where x depends upon what slots are available. If you have one physical drive and then boot, then it is /dev/sda. If you then plug in a USB drive (hard drive, thumb drive, it doesn't matter) it will be /dev/sdb.

Understood. As each drive is detected by Linux, it is assigned the next available device id/slot. The boot device should be /dev/sda. Assuming /home is in an LVM group, then each physical drive will be /dev/sdb.../dev/sdx. On my system, the /home lvm is a 4 drive group, so it goes from /dev/sdb.../dev/sde. Then I have a 4 drive array which is detected next, and each physical drive is /dev/sdf.../dev/sdi. Finally, my other drives are /dev/sdj.../dev/sdm. After the system was started, I plugged in a USB thumb drive, which registered as /dev/sdn. Are we confused yet? :-)

Anyway, this is why I label my drives / file systems. Mounting them is a lot easier. So, in /etc/fstab, I mount them using the LABEL=name syntax. My array is named afs-ts02, the /home lvm is mounted by its lvm device name, /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00, and the additional drives are labeled as afs-esata-1 through afs-esata-4. I had another drive (afs-esata-5), but it is starting to fail, so I leave it off most of the time. When I get a new drive, I'll copy it to the new drive and it will then become /dev/sdn instead of the thumb drive.

. Are we confused yet? :-)

lol. many many years ago ,,i say new to linux but actuall made my first live cd/dvd 7 or 8 yrs ago ,i have a Live Puppy Linux on a multisesion DVD [can make changes and save to the dvd when i shut down,],play it with rarely

As to what happens when you run out of letters (/dev/sdz), I don't know since I have never had that many physical drives attached to my system!

lol. many many years ago ,,i say new to linux but actuall made my first live cd/dvd 7 or 8 yrs ago ,i have a Live Puppy Linux on a multisesion DVD [can make changes and save to the dvd when i shut down,]made at or about 2004,play it with rarely

Well, I use Linux almost exclusively at home, and mostly at work as well, though I have Windows XP running in a VM at home, and my work laptop runs Windows 7, but with a Linux Vm on it for system software development and testing!

Solved:

Basically I had to take out my hardrive from my HP Touchsmart 300 and put it inside an old e-machine i had lying around in my garage and autonuke my harddrive fom there!

BTW don't ever waste your money on a Touchsmart...useless.

Solved:

Basically I had to take out my hardrive from my HP Touchsmart 300 and put it inside an old e-machine i had lying around in my garage and autonuke my harddrive fom there!

BTW don't ever waste your money on a Touchsmart...useless.

why didn't you just use your windows dvd

why didn't you just use your windows dvd

Because I was already running Windows 7. I was trying to autonuke the hardrive, and install Ubuntu.

I probably didn't have to autonuke it to install Ubuntu. But I did anyways just makesure I got all that old trash out and start fresh.

Ah. Not really necessary. Ubuntu would have happily nuked the drive for you and then installed itself on it.

Ah. Not really necessary. Ubuntu would have happily nuked the drive for you and then installed itself on it.

lol this would have saved me so much trouble.

Try to clean your hard drive by formatting.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.