I have 100 programs on my C Drive and I only use about 30 on a regular basis and the remaining 70 I use intermittently, but I do use them. I am sure this number of programs is slowing down my computer considerably. Is there a way that I can improve my situation and speed up my computer.

Some details on my computer are below from Belarc Advisor:

Processor
2.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Drive Volumes:

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 160.03 GB 113.62 GB free
d: (NTFS on drive 1) 320.07 GB 103.26 GB free
e: (NTFS on drive 2) 1000.20 GB 737.80 GB free

Memory Mdules

3316 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'J6H1' has 2048 MB
Slot 'J6H2' has 2048 MB

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You can try uninstalling the ones you seldom use, however, in my experience uninstalling still leaves around a lot of crap on the drive and in the registry. You might want to just reinstall Windows. I don't know your capabilities but this is how I typically configure

• 60 gig C partition (for OS and apps)
  • remaining space as D partition (for data)
  • format C and install Windows
  • install core apps
  • install imaging software
  • apply all Windows updates
  • take an image of C

I use Acronis for imaging. This is a paid app but if you want free I highly recommend Macrium Reflect. I install/uninstall a lot of software for evaluation and when my system starts to bog after 6 months or so I just reinstall the image, apply the outstanding updates, then take a new image.

Which version of Windows are you using, and is it 32 bit or 64 bit?

Before you reinstall Windows and all of the needed drivers, and those 100 programs that you do say you use, there may be an easier option.

The very first thing you need to do is download and install SuperAntiSpyware. (it's free) When we surf the 'net our computers accumulate trackers, and these tracking cookies and Adware will slow down your computer both online and offline. Once you have given your system a full sweep you will see a difference. However, you really only need to run it once or twice a months, or if inbetween that time you see a drop in performance. So, go into Superantispyware's 'Preferences' and untick the box that says something like "Start when Windows starts". There is no point in running the free version in the background.

Next download Defraggler (it's free) and Defragment your drive. Defraggler is better than the built in version that comes with Windows.

Do you have many programs running in the background? How many programs do you see lined up in the notification area of your Taskbar? Do they all need to be running right now?

Having programs on your system won't slow it down unless they are part of some autostarted services. Look at the services running on the system, and either disable, or specify manual startup, for the ones you don't need. I find that this has the best impact on overall system performance. Also, look for applications that are using too much memory, causing the system to hit the swap space.

Finally, check for running viruses, trojans, and botnets running.

The above solutions are very fine and it works really well.
another soloution is also that reinstall the Windows and softwres you want to use and also
install a Better antivirus which can update automaticaly on regular basics,
then it is secure the softwares and windows from the harmful viruses which will low the performance of the system.And also use the Disk Defragmeter which can manage the diskspace properly,....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.