This is a reoccuring BSOD that I get on occasion. Seems to happen when I'm on the internet, but then again, that's usually why I'm on the computer. Doesn't seem to be a particular site, just seems random. I'm usually typing something on a forum and in the middle of typing the BSOD shows up. I have a screen shot of the BSOD and wonder if anyone can tell me what might be happening to cause this and hopefully resolve why it's happening.

Dell Inspiron 9400, Win XP

Screen shot http://fototime.com/0DAC89431A9E590/standard.jpg
Thanks

Leo G

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

The 3 most common causes of a BSOD like that are ram, failing hard drive and infection.

Can you get it to boot into safemode?

The computer is very functional. The hard drive is pretty new. While it could be an issue I think it is unlikely. I have gotten errors that could indicate RAM problems, but have done many memory tests that say everything is fine. Of course infection is always likely, but I have a pretty locked down system, I scan it frequently.

Booting into safe mode shouldn't be an issue at all.

Member Avatar for willis100

There is an error code at the end of the blue screen. Search for a clue with that code on a functioning machine. This will help in the process of elimination.

Member Avatar for willis100

The stop code indicates The CREATE_DELETE_LOCK_NOT_LOCKED bug check has a value of 0x00000014.

This bug check appears very infrequently. Lot of good this does from microsoft....

one more common cause if driver conflicts .i would boot to windows disk ,choose recovery and at the prompt run "chkdsk /f"

Is tcpip.sys always the driver mentioned in the stop msgs? You do mention that you are working on the internet when the error occurs...

Pretty sure. It happened again that same day and was the same message and hasn't happened since then. It is pretty random with no real symptoms beforehand And always on the internet when the BSOD happens. I never get a dump report either. (*.dmp in the c:\windows\minidump folder)

If you follow these directions you should end up with a few BSOD events recorded and a place for us to start looking -

Please download BlueScreenView http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html (in zip file)•Extract (right-click > Extract all) the contents of bluescreenview.zip.

•Double-click on the BlueScreenView.exe file, to run the program. (No installation is required.)

•When scanning is done (usually complete by the time the interface appears), go ...

•Edit > Select All

•File > Save Selected Items, and save the report to your Desktop as BSOD.txt.

•Close the BlueScreenView window... ... ...

•Open BSOD.txt using Notepad and go ... .... ..

•Edit > Select All

•Edit > Copy, and then paste the entire contents of the text file into your next reply.

I ran the program and there is nothing to find. I already went into the minidump folder and it was empty. Then I scanned for DMP files and found a few but none related to WinXP.

Run the ChkDsk utility ,i have fixed many a bsod with a chkdsk over the years

Click on the Start button in the bottom left corner of your screen
Click on Computer
Right-click on the disk you want to check for errors and click on Properties
Click on the Tools tab in the window that opens, then click on the Check Now button(this is the ChkDsk utility)
In the window that pops up select Automatically fix file system errors
You can select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors if you want to perform a deep error check. This scanning takes longer but it is a good way to really check your disk for any error.
If you can get an error saying "can't check the disk because it's in use" you can click on Schedule disk check to schedule the ChkDsk utility to perform an error check when Windows boots

I've done chkdsk/f many times in the past, usually not correcting my issue, on occasion it does. I'll have to do it on a reboot. In the near future I will try this.

Thanks.

Just as a precaution. Get Hdtune (google will find it) and run a full scan on your hard drive. You say the hdd isn't very old but you can never be sure of its condition until it has been scanned.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.