Here's the exact error:

InstallFlashPlayer.exe - Bad Image
C:windows\system32\DINPUT8.dll is either not designed to run on windows or is contais an error. Try installing the program again using th origianl installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support

Any idea how to fix this? Just trying to install Adobe Flash Player. Kids can't play game (World of Tanks) or use drawing programs.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

You could try running the Microsoft System File Check utility. SFC will check and fix the system files. Follow the steps.

• Click Start
  • Type "cmd" in the search bar, or locate it in the programs, accessories...
  • Right click on Command Prompt in the list.
  • Choose "Run as Administrator"
  • Type "sfc /scannow" in the command prompt window.

What version of Windows on what hardware are you running, and which version of Adobe Flash are you trying to install? Did you get the Flash installer from the Adobe web site, or elsewhere?

Jorge,
It says:
"windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log
c:\windows\system32>"
No idea what that means, or even how to get out of the command prompt window...can I just exit, or do I need to type something?

Yes, you can just close the command prompt. You can view the results in the log file using notepad, but that may not do you any good if this process is not making sense to you.

At the moment, all you know is that the SFC utility did validate that there are problems, but unfortunately could not fix them.

So what you do next depends on how much time and energy you want to put into this.

I'm not generally as patient as I use to be so I dont spend too much time on these types of issues. I have found that for certain problems, a wipe and reimage of the drive is the fastest, cleanest option.

Of course, this action requires that you have an image, maybe on a recovery partition as this is common for HP, DELL, etc.. and your data is backed up regularly.

If this is not an option for you, you could try to boot the computer to a Windows Disc and perform a repair.

some people suggest running sfc at least 3 time in a row ,i seen it suggested on many help forums

Well, just got home from work & ran it three more times, but same message appears. I'm thinking this is FAR beyond anything I can tackle, as honestly, Jorge I have no idea what wiping and reimaging is all about, or how to determine whether I have an "image." This is my kids' computer, and it just started doing this regularly after a power outage about six weeks ago (at least that's what my son claims).

By the way, when the computer is first started, it says "the specified module could not be found. (msls31.dll)" Is this related, or something entirely different?

Different file but likely to be related to the issue of corrupt system files.

Based on your responses, my advice to you is to figure out how to restore the PC to factory defaults if you don't mind resetting the PC back the day you purchased it. Of course assuming you have a backup of your data.

I can't tell you what the exact steps are to do this because it varies among the PC vendors but it involved turning the PC on and hitting the correct key or set of keys before Windows boots up. Maybe you can call the support number for the PC and ask, or look up this info on their website.

If this process seems too complex, you may consider the option of getting some help at your local PC repair shop.

Unfortunately there no simple fix you can run or download for the issue you described. SFC was a good option but doesn't look like it worked for you.

Yeah, bummer about that - had fingers crossed. I will see if an IT-type guy I know can guide me through the restoration, as he will know more about my computer than I do (& has connections to the person I purchased from). Thanks so much for trying - I really do appreciate it!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.