Hope u can help. I have Windows Me and cannot save work to my floppys. I get error messages saying not formatted or that system does not recognise device or something.
I've tried formatting them but it won't. I don't mind losing any data.
I don't have the internet so can only use public pcs. I can only check for any new threads every few days unfortunately.
I've tried formatting the disks in the public library but no luck. Can anyone help? :rolleyes:
Peace and love everyone

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

you could try buying some new floppys ,or worse case is that the floppy drive itself has died .and you need a new one

I had similar problem. Every time I put in a floppy, I would get an error message that the disk is not formatted, and the formatting would render the floppy disk unusable Ever again. Couldn't format it on other machines. Turned out to be windows thing. I also noticed that floppy controller driver (device manager) didn't have the resources set. I don't remeber exactly what the symptoms were. I've tried removing the floppy controller driver and search the machine for hardware (Control panel/add new hardware) but no help. I do remeber that the only way to solve it was to reinstall the windows.

you could try buying some new floppys ,or worse case is that the floppy drive itself has died .and you need a new one

Thanks - I'll try a new floppy. Is a new drive expensive?

I had similar problem. Every time I put in a floppy, I would get an error message that the disk is not formatted, and the formatting would render the floppy disk unusable Ever again. Couldn't format it on other machines. Turned out to be windows thing. I also noticed that floppy controller driver (device manager) didn't have the resources set. I don't remeber exactly what the symptoms were. I've tried removing the floppy controller driver and search the machine for hardware (Control panel/add new hardware) but no help. I do remeber that the only way to solve it was to reinstall the windows.

Thanks. I don't know what you mean by the device manager. Would restoring the system help? Would this reinstall windows?

Thanks - I'll try a new floppy. Is a new drive expensive?

No ,one of the cheapest things you can buy for a computer these days .

You can access device manager by righ-click my comuter icon, select properities. Click on the device manager or advanced tab (dunno what win you're using). Select the floppy drive controler and press properities button. In the window opened, click on resources tab and see if the resources have been set. If not, well I solved it by reinstalling windows (restoring will not help with win98).

You can access device manager by righ-click my comuter icon, select properities. Click on the device manager or advanced tab (dunno what win you're using). Select the floppy drive controler and press properities button. In the window opened, click on resources tab and see if the resources have been set. If not, well I solved it by reinstalling windows (restoring will not help with win98).

Thanks - will try it! I have Windows Me.:p

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.