ok I have windows ME, 256 RAM, intel celeron, Hp computer. De-frag does not work because an error screen comes up after 10 min and says there are errors on my disk, and to run scandisk to fix the problem, i go and run scan disk, an hour later i get a message saying scan disk has restarted 10 times, due to something writting on the harddrive. I restart in safe mode and run scan disk, everything is fine. I run de-frag in safe mode, everything is fine. I restart in regular mode and try and run scan disk, an hour later I get the same message that something is writting to my disk and scandisk cannot finish. So now I am stuck, when i run scandisk in normal mode i have the bare essitenails running in the task bar (the menu that comes up when you hit crtl alt del) so what should i do now? i am stuck pls help im am kinda of a computer newb compared to you guys. thanks

Donnie

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

The 'bare essentials' should include Systray and Explorer. Nothing else. End-task anything else you see in there ;)

OK i tried running scandisk with only sytray and exploroer running, and it took 4 hours and then just kept restarting over and over will this program disk keeper lite help me?

I would suggest that you have a look at the label on the hard drive, determine what manufacturer made it, download the diagnostic software from their website and see if it reports any errors. The hard drive may be faulty and you need to find out if it is.

I's also suggest that you read the pinned topics in our 'Viruses, Spware and other Nasties' section and follow the advice included there in case you have a really sneaky unwanted intruder on your system.

The behaviour you are reporting is not normal behaviour, and while Diskeeper Lite may well run defrags better for you, in that circumstance you'd be covering up a problem rather than correcting it ;)

I take Catweazle's point re Diskeeper Lite.

On my post suggesting that you use it , I really meant to suggest that you first boot to DOS using the ME StartUp disk and run a full CheckDisk (i.e. include surface scan) to detect (and hopefully move the data from) any bad sectors on your disk.

Apologies for the omission. Must have got carried away with my enthusiasm for Diskeeper Lite!!

I take Catweazle's point re Diskeeper Lite.

On my post suggesting that you use it , I really meant to suggest that you first boot to DOS using the ME StartUp disk and run a full CheckDisk (i.e. include surface scan) to detect (and hopefully move the data from) any bad sectors on your disk.

How do I start up to DOS and do a Check Disk?

Simply restart (or start) your computer with the Start Up Disk in the A: drive.

I trust you do have one?

If not, then:-

"Start/Settings/Control Panel/AddRemove Programs/Start Up Disk"

will let you create one.

WinME is notorious for Long Scandisk run due to restarting! I've found that restarting due to disc writing is usually from an AntiVirus prog. Disconnect from Internet Cable before killing AV is best. Then I go to bed!....lol....Have gotten up next morn and it Still runnin! Just let it run to completion. oh, and tell it "No" next time it asks if You want to continue to recieve notices.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.