I installed a new hard drive and am now trying to install xp. I goes through the motions until it reboots. Then it starts all over again at the beginning. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on? Thank you :confused:

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I'm not sure if this will help you, but when I was first installing XP I wasn't sure if, after the first reboot, I had to let the computer load up itself or if I should have pressed a button when prompted to "boot from the CD" again as I did when I first initiated the installation. So, I pressed a button during the boot at the prompt, and this caused the installation to begin again hehe. If this is the case with your installation, simply let the computer load up without pressing anything when it reboots after the first part of the install.

I have a feeling that it's not gonna be as simple as that though lol.

Thanks Paddy, I think I have tried everything. I have taken the disc out. Then when it reboots it says no operating system. maybe if i move the jumpers on the hard drive..

Yes, good point, perhaps the hard drive you are using needs to be set as the boot drive in your BIOS. If the system tries booting from another drive it won't find the operating system, and therefore the installation will begin again. To get into your BIOS, you usually have to press F8 or Delete during the boot (most systems will display an option). Try and find the option that allows you to set the order of the boot devices, and make sure that your hard drive which has the OS installed on it is set as the first boot device. If that doesn't work, what you suggested might be helpful - changing the jumpers. Make sure the "OS drive" is set as the Master.

If you can't find your way around the BIOS, write down the main menu options of your BIOS and post them here ;)

There is only one hard drive. I will keep trying.

Having one hard drive won't matter if the boot sequence is wrong ;) There are floppy drives, CD-ROM drives, etc. Sometimes the hard drive isn't even selected in the boot list, and you have to set it manually. It's worth looking at if only to eliminate the possibility :D

The jumpers did the trick. Thanks for the use of your brain...lol

LOL I'm glad you got it sorted out! Pretty cool that you worked it out yourself in the end haha :) You'll make a good addition to DaniWeb's army of techies!

only on a good day!...lol have a good evening. thanks again

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.