Here is my situation, I have windows 98 with a windows xp home edition upgrade disk. I am reloading windows on my computer but trying to keep the current file system in tact. The problem is, when i put in the windows xp cd it asks me for the 98 cd, then i put that in and it asks me to put the other one back in. once i do that it loads windows but when it reboots it tries to inspect the current hardware configuration instead of continuing on with normal setup.

If any help can be offered, i would really appreciate it.

-Brandon

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I'm assuming you are using a FAT32 file system and you do not wish to upgrade to an NTFS system. Is this correct?

i believe i already have a NTFS. It does ask me to format to it but i dont want to lose any of the stuff i have on there..

thanks for your help

-Brandon

Windows 9X/ME does not have NTFS, its Fat32, you have to upgrade to NTFS

sorry , i dont think i was too clear earlier, i already have xp on my computer, but when i try to load it on there it asks for the 98 disk just to make sure i had it and it is a valid upgrade.

sorry again for the cofusion.

thanks for you help

but what the problem is...when i load the windows files on there it should boot from hard disk and continue with setup...but it will not. I do not believe my hard drive is bad...it is farley new. but i did seem to recieve some sort of virus i guess that has infected the files in start up.

but what the problem is...when i load the windows files on there it should boot from hard disk and continue with setup...but it will not. I do not believe my hard drive is bad...it is farley new. but i did seem to recieve some sort of virus i guess that has infected the files in start up.

Get a Full copy of Windows XP Pro it's only like $100 and way worth it if your a average home user. Just get a full copy of it install it no more problems brother. By the way upgrading is not doing anything expect transfering problems to a new GUI.

The problem you are having may very well be that you are using a FAT32 file system and some WindowsXP setups require an NTFS setup. I've had Windows pull this on me before when stepping up to XP Pro. I'd recommend trying to convert the file system first.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can step up to an NTFS setup from a FAT32 setup without having to format everything and lose all data. There should be a program called something like 'File System Conversion Wizard' in the start menu somewhere that will bring your drive up to the NTFS format without destrying ANY data. It's been a while since I've had to convert a drive, but I believe it's possible. I'll research that a little and post again.

I'd have to agree with Mad Dog on this though, get a copy of XP...full version....go with Pro, you won't be disappointed at all (except the fact that it's still Microsoft :lol: )

Here's a little bit from http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307881 that may help you a bit:

Converting a FAT or FAT32 Volume to NTFS

NOTE: Although the possibility of corruption or data loss during the conversion is minimal, it is recommended that you perform a backup of the data on the volume that you want to convert before you start the conversion.

To convert an existing FAT or FAT32 volume to NTFS, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
  2. At the command prompt, type the following, where drive letter is the drive that you want to convert: convert drive letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, type the following command to convert drive E to NTFS: convert e: /fs:ntfs

3. When the following message is displayed in the command prompt window, type the volume label of the drive that you are converting, and then press ENTER: The type of the file system is FAT.
    Enter the current volume label for drive drive letter:
  4. When the conversion to NTFS is complete, the following line is displayed in the command prompt window:
    Conversion complete
  5. Quit the command prompt.

I agree just putting in my two cents. Normally I give people the advice that will for sure fix it knowing that Reformating takes only 30 mins you got to start refresh sometime. But hey what do I know.

True that, formatting is the sure fix. It's wiping the computing slate clean, but if he is going to save his data (which, having a 30gig MP3 database, I understand,) he will either need a second drive or a different method of installing an OS other than formatting. You are right though, and that's what I would do myself.

Yeah I feel you, sometimes I just look at my point of view knowing what to do when to do it and how to do it. Seems so simple to me but, remembering those days I totally understand where there coming from. My bad hopefully I won't just shot my information directly like that. Good luck to you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.