;) My comp is really weird. I have installed 1GB of ram, but whenever i restart my comp, when it loads into window XP, i slows down alot. it seems like its trying to load something but nothing comes out. We i click "my computer", it shows a flashlight searching for the files. finally after like 1 min, its back to its "expected speed" why is this happening? i tried to delete all those startup programs but its not working. And I found out that when my window is loading, in windows work manager it says that system Idle Process is taking up 99% of cpu? why is this? I don't think theres a problem with my ram but rather my window, cause i just installed a new motherboard so i have to reinstall my windows, but my old system didn't have this kind of problem. This is really weird. Thanks for helping me out here!

My comp spec:

Gigabyte Nforce 2 7N400-L
Athlon xp 1700
1 GB of DDR 400 ram (dual channel)
80 GB (40GB *2)
Geforce 3 ti200

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

lmao

what over powered ram for your processor >.<

the XP 1700+ cant take advanted of that high power ram fyi theres going to be a bottle neck

id suggest defragging your harddrives

lmao

what over powered ram for your processor >.<

the XP 1700+ cant take advanted of that high power ram fyi theres going to be a bottle neck

id suggest defragging your harddrives

He hasn't reinstalled since he swapped out motherboards. I would be much more concerned about that than your blanket statement of a CPU not using the RAM enough.

The CPU doesn't use RAM, the OS does. More memory means you can cache more information for the system to use, generally speeding up a system because if it's in the system memory, it doesn't have to hit the hard drive at all. The speed doesn't matter anyway because the memory will just clock itself down, not causing a bottleneck, unless SPD is turned on in the BIOS.

Defragging will likely do nothing as well. Reinstall the OS.

..... ummm?

There will STILL be a bottle neck because the processor does talk to the ram? never had an A+ couse before huh?

defraggin will help because the longer it takes the os to find the files that windows requires for start up the worse off he is. :P

so i should reinstall my window xp? would that help? cause i don't want to reinstall again it takes alot of time to reinstall all other stuff.

Before taking drastic measures and reformatting, there are two things to try. Go into My Computer (once you finally get in there) and right click on your C:\ (System) drive and click Properties. Click the tools menu. Run error-correction and then run disk-defragmenter - the top two tools listed in the window.

Both of those should improve performance.

I did run a error report and defrag my system, but its still the same. I don't know if its harddrive's problem or not. Its kind of weird. Cause the problem only occur during the startup of xp. Which in that 1min, i simply can't do anything, like connect to internet or open my computer. It lags and slows down. After that 1 min, every program i clicked pops up, my internet connection starts working and my computer opens. This is annoying? what can i do to stop this?:cry:

I have a similar startup problem. It started when I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers and installed them (v53.03). After discovering the startup delay and removing the new graphics drivers (to no avail), I started a long, long process of uninstalling different software & downgrading/removing drivers in an attempt to discover what was causing this. I assumed it was a conflict between my graphics card drivers (Leadtek A310 TD FX5600) & other software, drivers etc but I eventually took the plunge & re-installed XP. The result is that I am no further forward and the startup delay still exists (so defragging the HD etc etc is absolutely no use whatsoever).

For the moment I have decided to live with it as I don't reboot or power down the PC on a regular basis (as Taiwan says, other than a slow start the pc runs perfectly). I suppose it's one of those Windows niggles we have all grown used to over the years and until I stumble over the solution either on the net or by myself, I'll just have to put up with it. :confused:

I have a similar startup problem. It started when I downloaded the latest nVidia drivers and installed them (v53.03). After discovering the startup delay and removing the new graphics drivers (to no avail), I started a long, long process of uninstalling different software & downgrading/removing drivers in an attempt to discover what was causing this. I assumed it was a conflict between my graphics card drivers (Leadtek A310 TD FX5600) & other software, drivers etc but I eventually took the plunge & re-installed XP. The result is that I am no further forward and the startup delay still exists (so defragging the HD etc etc is absolutely no use whatsoever).

For the moment I have decided to live with it as I don't reboot or power down the PC on a regular basis (as Taiwan says, other than a slow start the pc runs perfectly). I suppose it's one of those Windows niggles we have all grown used to over the years and until I stumble over the solution either on the net or by myself, I'll just have to put up with it. :confused:

Well, i guess i just have to reinstall my xp again. Whatever, thanks people for helping me out anyways. Well, i hate u bill gates!

what about a system restore back to a good Day!:)

I'm not sure if System Restore would do the trick, but you may as well give it a try.

Has anyone had any luck with fixing this problem? I'm having the same problem, XP boots into windows, but for the 1st min., I can't do anything but start at the screen.. Then it finishes loading and everything is fine. I reinstalled XP twice last night.

Has anyone had any luck with fixing this problem? I'm having the same problem, XP boots into windows, but for the 1st min., I can't do anything but start at the screen.. Then it finishes loading and everything is fine. I reinstalled XP twice last night.

my friend got a new system p4 2.4 256ddr gforce4 440 mx gigabyte m/b lan card it was taking 2 mins to boot took it back and it was a older lan card that was the problem new lan card and presto 35secs to boot !! re. video driver go to add/remove programs uninstall nvidia drivers . restart dont load drivers yet, go to c:/windows look for and delete anyfile to do with your video card, empty recycle bin. go to control panel>system>device manager>display adapter and uninstall it, restart go with the prompts, install driver with wizard ,restart now go to the video card driver folder and use its set up and install the same driver again this definitely worked on another computer good luck

OK LADS, I HAVE A FIX FOR THE 1 MINUTE STARTUP LAG, UNINSTALL MICROSOFT OFFICE, IF YOU HAVE VISIO, UNINSTALL THAT ASWELL, PROBLEM FIXED, IF ANYONE ELSE FINDS IT WONT WORK PLEASE EMAIL ME LEESMITH2097@HOTMAIL.COM , THIS IS SO SIMPLE BUT HARD TO FIND OUT

HOPE IT HELPS, LEO2003

One thing that you can do to find the bottleneck is to search for the "Windows Update.log". Look at the files that have been booting up, and if you are lucky, you may find the one that is slowing down your system.

Also you probably can try a "clean boot". To do that, go to "RUN" and enter "MSCONFIG". Disable all files, except the necessary files needed for Windows to run. Reboot again, and see if your system is slowing down again. If not, then try re-enabling your files one-by-one 'till you find the one that is slowing you down.

Cheers!

ONEderer

OK LADS, I HAVE A FIX FOR THE 1 MINUTE STARTUP LAG, UNINSTALL MICROSOFT OFFICE, IF YOU HAVE VISIO, UNINSTALL THAT ASWELL, PROBLEM FIXED, IF ANYONE ELSE FINDS IT WONT WORK PLEASE EMAIL ME LEESMITH2097@HOTMAIL.COM , THIS IS SO SIMPLE BUT HARD TO FIND OUT

HOPE IT HELPS, LEO2003

if this does work, then you can't use the MS Office anymore?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.