Gosh today has been horrible....

I'm getting ready to leave work and here's what happened:

I was backing up my supervisor's Outlook data and after that finished the laptop became very slow. I tried to open AutoCad to determine if our licenses were still working because I had ran into an issue on the 3rd floor. The computer ended up locking up... so I reboot. Now all that comes up is System disk read error - press control+alt+del to restart

guys this is devestating.... is there anything I can do? please help... I've been working since 7:45am (almost 11pm now) and I just want to go home... :sad:

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Dell Tech:

The only solution for the error code you gave me is to replace the hard-drive....

.... your warranty expired April, 2005.

Sadly.... this thread is solved :sad:

Dell Tech:

Sadly.... this thread is solved :sad:

You still might be able to recover the data:!::!:. Take the HDD out get an adapter either USB or IDE and rig it up to another pc. The adapters are cheap and called IDE converters i think. See if that pc recognises it. If it does see if you can copy any of the folders off. Also run a CHKDSK on it you could get a nice suprise.:)

Are you really employed as IT support :rolleyes: I think you should give me a job i seem to be doing most of your work for you:cheesy:

I would of thought that anyone with a job like yours would be able to tell if a HDD has failed!!???:?:

Give me a job and somwhere to live in the states and i'll fix all your problems:cheesy:

Have you tried the cryogenic way of recovering data off of a dead hard drive? Check this:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread9069.html

I've tried this before it occassionaly works try it as last resort though. There are professional data recovery companies out there but there very expensive. One i have used before here in the UK is called VOGON. Can cost upwards of £800 - £3000. Depends how important your data is i guess:?: The more you mess with the HDD the less chance they have of recovering data. They have airlocked clean rooms and they take the platters out of the HDD and put into another drive.

Yeah.... I'm 18 working as the ITT for an engineering company.... I'm not scared to ask for help, as I don't pretend to know everything. I don't have but 7 months experience.

btw. I knew the hdd was dead.......... that's why I asked for suggestions on getting it fixed. ;)

Yeah.... I'm 18 working as the ITT for an engineering company.... I'm not scared to ask for help, as I don't pretend to know everything. I don't have but 7 months experience.

btw. I knew the hdd was dead.......... that's why I asked for suggestions on getting it fixed. ;)

I don't mind giving you help either my son.:cheesy: The problems you ask about tell me that you do have a good understanding. You are doing some pretty challenging projects for someone so young with only 7 months experience. Keep the questions rolling in i work for an IT support company here in the UK and have to deal with hardware and networks from lots of different companies so alot of what your trying to do i have experience of. You will go far and may the force be with you.:cool:

:mrgreen: I hope so

I'm thinking about asking them to hire someone else to help me tho... I worked 16 hours the other day :sad: (and the laptop was only the last 2.5)

btw.

i appreciate alllllll of your help... thanks a bunch! :lol:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.