is there any free programs out there that wipe your temp internet folder under
temp directory and your normal IE content folder?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

is there any free programs out there that wipe your temp internet folder under temp directory and your normal IE content folder?

Give this a try (iisoftware.net).

is it ok if i just go into my temp internet folder and delete all the random pictures and stuff in the 4 or so folders under the IE content folder?

I would think that it is but I'm not 100% ... can someone back me up?

I had a few problems with going to internet-options and cleaning it out. The Directories like Content.IE5 and Content.MSO were NOT deleted. And the files in there either.
Here is another temp internet cleaner that I looked up for you, it looks good, but you'll need Win XP to use it. I don't know if it will work on other Operating systems.
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4122.html

As for manually deleting stuff:
In Win9x/ME go into c:\windows\temporary internet files and delete all files. I did it multiple times and my pc still works.
I'm not familiar where the temp files in winXP are though
In Win2000 go into c:\documents and settings\*name profile*\local settings\temporary internet files\
If you don't see it you need to go to Tools-->Folder options-->View-->show hidden files and folders
To see and to select the directories I talked about earlier you need to click the Plus (+) in front of the temporary internet files directory in the left handside frame.
I hopes this works out for you.

is it ok if i just go into my temp internet folder and delete all the random pictures and stuff in the 4 or so folders under the IE content folder?

Yes, but that may sometimes be hard to do, as Microsoft has gone to great lengths to hide that stuff from you. See Microsoft's Really Hidden Files for more on this issue (warning: potentially offensive site-name and email address).

haha interesting site name. i think im just gonna delete the saved picture files in the temp folder and not bother with msdos or whatever. all i know is how to exit msdos and make it beep lol

o by the way, is that temp folder cleaner 2 posts up that also cleans history and cookies and stuff safe? like its not gonna delete important files or things i have saved in my documents will it, thanks :D

Is that temp folder cleaner 2 posts up that also cleans history and cookies and stuff safe? like its not gonna delete important files or things i have saved in my documents will it?

No, it's pretty configurable--it will only delete the classes of files that you select. It works well, or I would not have linked to it, or placed it on my links page. I have used it in the past, but not recently. I usually just clear stuff out manually from Linux once in a while.

Even though MS goes through great lengths to hide it, it still has a potential for hiding dangerous cargo for the computer. In my experience the users tend to ignore that problem. And when I do come around to clean up their system. There is too much junk on that computer that it scares me.

thanx for the replies.
also sorry about starting it in the networking forum.
my mistake

I would think that it is but I'm not 100% ... can someone back me up?

I think so too, i do it all the time... have'nt had any problems manually deleting temp files...

(there's your back-up :cheesy: )

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.