I have a CD-ROM drive. All of a sudden the icon for the CD-ROM drive does not appear in My Computer and using the find linlk I cannot find any othere disc frive except for drive C. How can I get my PC to show my CD-ROM drive? Before this it was listed as drive D.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Right-click on the My Computer icon and choose "properties". From there, navigate to Device Manager and see if the CD is listed there. If it is, does it have a yellow "!" or red X next to it?

Were you making any changes to the system just prior to the drive's disappearance (think carefully)?

Is your CD-ROM even being recognized by the system at all? Check your CMOS setup (which can usually be entered into "before" Windows starts booting) - in most cases, the IDE device 0 in your system should be your hard drive (which of course is working), and the IDE device 1 in your system ought to be your CD-ROM drive. If your CMOS does not recognize your CD-ROM drive, it will say something to the affect of "not installed" or "not present" or "none".

It could be as simple as a loose cable, or just a CD-ROM drive that has gone bad.

i got the same problem i reformated my computer and i got a new cd drive it wont detect it for some reason but when i was reformating it detected it but now it doesn't and i tried to install the cd drive into my computer with a floppy disk but it does not work for some reason

phatbacky,

We do ask that members start their own threads when they have problems, regardless of how similar a problem in an existing thread might seem. It becomes very difficult to keep track of whose responses are directed toward whose questions otherwise.

Please start a new thread of your own, and when you do, please include as much information as possible:

-Your version of Windows
-The make/model of CD drive
-The name and version # of the CD-ROM's driver which you are trying to install (and where you got the driver).
- The exact text of any error messages you may have gotten.

anetry,

I've split our posts into a separate thread for you. You can find your new thread here.

Due to the fact that the member who originally started this thread has not responded in quite a long time, this thread is considered abandoned and has been closed.

In accordance with our posting rules, other members having similar problems should start their own threads and post their questions there. In order to help us help you most quickly, please include as much information about your problem as possible in your posts.

If the member who originally started this thread wishes to have the thread reopened, please send your request, including a link to this thread, to one of our moderators via email or Private Message.

Thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.