I went to PCWorld today to preorder vista (not out in UK yet)

£179.99 for home basic (no aero and only runs on celerons/semprons)
£379.99!!!!!!! for ultimate edition

OMFG

If 1 dollar = 50pence then that makes it $750!!!

HOW COME UK SOFTWARE IS SO MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE THAN US STUFF!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Actually thats pretty much on par with what XP was last year.I think you pay around 75% more in a shop than you do on an OEM version.I think any Dell's bought between the beginning of december and the Vista release at the end of january get a free Vista DVD as well as the OEM XP already included with the system

i only got my dell for last christmas grrrrrrrr.......

looks like no vista for me anway (i got the RC cos of MSDN and believe me, its slowwwwwwwww even on a P4HT with 1gb RAM) and i need a new souncard

Vista is going to be rather expensive, it will be $300 for the Ultimate upgrade last I checked here in the states. This is expensive for an upgrade, but next to the $600 PS3, I'm sure people will find Vista is more useful.

I had heard it was impossible to upgrade from XP to Vista as they finally stopped building one architecture on top of another.The "upgrade" dvd's dell will be shipping to their recent customers are actually full copies of Vista,you will not need to have XP installed to install these "upgrade" dvd's

Not exactly, Microsoft actually has a chart which tells you what versions you can 'Upgrade' from, and still keep your programs and settings.

Unfortunately, it looks like Dani is going to need to wipe her system again :D

you do know you dont actually need to have the upgrade system installed to upgrade?

i found that out when i installed xp upgrade on my dads pc (originally with me) and was given the option either to have it scan for upgradable systems or to insert a genuine install cd for an upgradable system - i just bunged in the OEM ME cd's and it worked fine

I am sure on ms website it has vista on for $250 for ultimate upgrade? I hope it isn't much more expensive in the uk. BTW. Why would you buy it from PC world, have some pride!!!

pc world is next door to college so its convenient

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/windows_vista
windows vista ultimate £369

the cheapest ive seen ultinate to order is for £349.99

how much is xp in the usa?

home is like £115
pro is like £200+
server is like £300 - 600

Vista is going to be rather expensive, it will be $300 for the Ultimate upgrade last I checked here in the states. This is expensive for an upgrade, but next to the $600 PS3, I'm sure people will find Vista is more useful.

Useful yes, but nowhere NEAR as fun...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.