I have a computer that had an illegal copy of xp on it. It is now part of a computer system that also has a second processor with a legal copy of 2k on it. I desire to be fully legal and have legal xp on both processors.

I understand that I can upgrade the 2k and preserve the balance of the files on it. Will I be able to legally do the same with the other processor with a single copy of XP Upgrade or will I need to get a single copy of Windows XP (non-upgrade) to do this.

I do not believe that I need to purchase two copies of XP. It does appear that the EULA permits me to have a single OS (XP or 2k) for each processor on the same computer, but the question is really will I need to install a legal 2k on the illegal xp processor in order to upgrade this illegitimate copy, and if so loose the data thereon?

Thanks

That's a tough one... I would say that you only need one copy, but I'm not quite sure.
I would send this question to microsoft and see what they have to say about it.

Regards Niek

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.