Hi,

I'm new here so please excuse my mistakes here !

I am an internet-aholic you might say, but I'm also one of those people who just want to turn my computer on and it work, never having to do anything than maybe install a new program or two every now and then.

I need help badly here I have had to install Windows 98SE twice now, and totally format my hard drive once because of this problem.

I gained access to a site called Heritage Quest through my local library, which is just the greatest thing for me since my hobby is genealogy. I really need this site to gain info anywhere else if it could be found online I'd be forced to pay for.

Anyway after about a week with no problems I got the message "The page cannot Be Displayed". I tried everything I could also contacting my local provider and Heritage Quest techs asking for help, they could'nt figure it out either.

The first time I re-installed Windows 98SE and went back to my old registry, it worked fine again for about a week, just to happen again. Only this time re-installing Windows 98SE would'nt work it out either I had to re-format my hard drive and re-install everything. Once again to have access to the site for about a week before today it started happening again.

I have deleted temp intenet files and cookies with no change, I feel as though it has something to do with Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1, that is installed. After it started happening I tried another update off their website Q238389, but that did'nt help either.

I was trying to figure it out myself through the website, but I could'nt make heads or tails out of anything there really. Yes I am an illiterate when it comes to this part of computing and I'm sorry for that, that's why I'm here asking for help and hopeing someone here will be able to talk me through this.

Please help,

Debby

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Thanks I already tried that also.

Just in case to keep things up to date I just re-formated my hard drive again last nigt, this is driving me crazy.

Debby

Are you having problem accessing just this one website in question or with the Internet in general? What browser are you using? First, check to see if the HOSTS file doesn't have Heritage Quest as one of its blocked list of entries. To locate Hosts file, use the Windows Search and enter "hosts" without the quotes. Once the file is located, open it with a notepad and search for the website in question, and delete the entry if found. If the entry is not found, then check the Restricted Sites under Tools>Internet Options>Security and click on "Restricted Sites" and check to see if it contains the webpage. Also you should consider whether the real culprit lies with any one of the firewall/antivirus/antitrojan/anti-xxx combo that often has an innate capability to prevent undesirable websites from loading (refer to my earlier post http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?threadid=7024) Refer to the manual to see whether you could disable such functions. Also, might I add, that session cookies must be accepted for some websites to load. This is a redundant point, but sometimes you need to manually set up the browser to accept cookies. To set up your IE 6 browser, click on Tools on your browser's menu bar, click on Internet Options, and then click on the Privacy tab. Press the "default" under setting and also press "Edit". Then type the Web address and press "accept" and OK.

If the above suggestions fail, skip the trouble and download Mozilla Firefox (http://texturizer.net/firefox/download.html) which I think is superior to IE6.

I'm new here so please excuse my mistakes here !

No mistakes made; nothing to worry about there. :)

From what you describe, it does sound as though you might have gotten infested with spyware and the like. Read through the threads in our Security forum for ways to find out if that's truly the problem, and if so, how to resolve the issues. Read this thread in particular:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread5690.html

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.