Could I run applications using just the Program Files from another computer, without actually installing the program with a formal installer? Thing is, I recently had to reinstall Windows and all my applications, and am wondering what disadvantages there are to not installing the program and just using the Program Files transfered from another computer. Would all applications be able to run this way? What type of errors could I get? Basically, I just really want to be able to copy one big folder to a hard drive and have all the applications there, without having to go through so many installers. =)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

It would be simpler to install the other hdd as a slave drive and transfer the files for the slave to the master. This is very quick and simple.

Most of the old applications won't run after your new installation of windows .. because most of the programs keep their information in windows registry which is gone with the previous installation. You'll have to install most of the programs again !! Good luck.

yeah i tired copy and pasting for adaware and the update part of it didn't work so i ran the installer instead. best to install

Could I run applications using just the Program Files from another computer, without actually installing the program with a formal installer? Thing is, I recently had to reinstall Windows and all my applications, and am wondering what disadvantages there are to not installing the program and just using the Program Files transfered from another computer. Would all applications be able to run this way? What type of errors could I get? Basically, I just really want to be able to copy one big folder to a hard drive and have all the applications there, without having to go through so many installers. =)

simple answer is NO!

As stated above. When an application installs. it wirtes itself to the Program Files folder. However it takes information from your machine + existing Registry information.
And generates it's own registry information.

If you wipe your machine or restore it. You're wiping/changing the windows registry.
Thus the files that are copied previously, try to work with the windows registry and won't be able to as its not in the same state as it was when it was installed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.