banchang 0 Newbie Poster

Need your help pls

I have a Dell Dimension 2400

Problem started I believe when I updated my Nvidia GE2 graphics drivers

I booted up & now have a very pixelated desktop, with no icons. I cannot get to safe mode, as on startup none of the F8, F2 or F12 buttons do anything, & it just loads the themed desktop. I cannot get to task manager either, as while I can move the mouse cursor, ctrl alt delete doesn't bring up task manager.

Periodically as I look at the pixelated red moon desert desktop screen, the mouse goes to eggtimer & I hear activity in the PC tower, but it reverts to the mouse cursor after a few seconds.

I have also tried having the XP Installation disc in at time of bootup, but while it spins, it doesn't bring up anything on my desktop, & eventually stops spinning, leaving me with my themed destop, hugely pixelated, & no icons.

The Nvidia GE2 graphics card has operated problem free for years - it is only since I updated the drivers (silly me!) using Microsoft update that I began to have problems

I would do a system restore, but I have nothing on my desktop except the desktop theme - I cannot get to the start menu, cannot see any icons, cannot get to task manager either. Mouse moves around, but cannot click on anything, as theres nothing there.

Grateful for your help..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.