This might sound like a lame problem, but I 'm getting these annoying pop-ups each time I'm on the internet. It doesn't matter which website I'm on, they always seem to pop up on the screen. It's always the same ads, they're all in swedish (I live in sweden). I've ran spybot and Ad-aware and neither of them finds any spyware. but still it must be something on my computer since it's the same ads every time. is there any program that stops pop-up ads? I want to keep using IE.. greatful 4 any help.. thnx

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Installing Google Toolbar is the quickest and easiest way to block pop-ups for IE.

But the ones you're getting sounds like they're coming from something installed on your system. Make sure AdAware and Spybot are the latest versions and updated, and run them from 'Safe Mode'

Make sure you set Ad-aware up like this .

After installing AAW, and before running the program, update reference files by using the bottom right button in the program, labeled "Check for Updates."

Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.

Click the "Scanning" button.
Under Drives & Folders, select "Scan within Archives".
Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.

Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
Click the "Advanced" button.
Under "Log-file detail", select all options.
Click the "Tweaks" button.

Under "Scanning Engine", select the following:
"Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile" and
"Unload recognized processes during scanning."
Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:
"Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."
Click on 'Proceed' to save these Preferences.
Please make sure that you activate IN-DEPTH scanning before you proceed

Thanx a lot! =) I feel a bit stupid now since I actually had forgot to update ad-aware (I thought it updated automatically =P) but I updated and ran it and it seems the pop-up ads don't show up anymore! I appreciate the help.. =) thanks for the tips /gina the jellyhead.
PS: Also I don't have to type in http:// before typing the address to the website anymore! seems you guys were right, it was some sort of spyware or browser-hijacker! =P A BIG THANK YOU

Right on ,well done >)

tHE BEST ANTI-POPUP SOFTWARE THAT i HAVE SEEN IS PART OF AN ENTIRE PACKAGE. iT IS FROM iolo.COM cALLED "sYSTEM mECHANIC." hAVEN'T HAD A PROBLEM SINCE i USED IT. i HAD TO SHUT OFF THE VOLUME ON THE LITTLE HAMMER.

Also check out this registry editor that is really great for finding hidden crap in the registry. http://www.regnow.com/softsell/visitor.cgi?affiliate=17945&action=site&vendor=4543

:lol:

This might sound like a lame problem, but I 'm getting these annoying pop-ups each time I'm on the internet. It doesn't matter which website I'm on, they always seem to pop up on the screen. It's always the same ads, they're all in swedish (I live in sweden). I've ran spybot and Ad-aware and neither of them finds any spyware. but still it must be something on my computer since it's the same ads every time. is there any program that stops pop-up ads? I want to keep using IE.. greatful 4 any help.. thnx

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.