I have 98SE on one computer, WinXP Pro on another. I want to Backup the 98 onto the XP machine, Then perhaps vice versa. I have a crossover cable and network cards in each machine.

What are my best options?

Up next is a second HD for the XP machine. I have the HD on hand. Can I partition it in a particular way to facilitate the backup?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In your situation, I'd just back up the files you know you want to save to the network share, and leave it that. You're going to have trouble backing up the whole OS, unless you wanted to boot to DOS, get the appropriate NIC driver loaded, map the network share to a drive letter, and then use Ghost to dump an image of the entire 98 drive over.

I'm not understanding your question here. Are you asking how to use the network feature to copy files from one machine to another? Alternatively, are you asking how to back up the whole system onto a different machine, so that it can be loaded back in working order later?

Both can be done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.