I have the following problem, and would appreciate some advice on how to go about fixing it!!

My PC at home (WinXP SP2) has a decent internet connection, but for the last few weeks I have been unable to access the microsoft.com website, first noticed due to failure of the windows update service to connect. It turns out I cannot access the site using IE6 or Mozilla Firefox either.

There are various other websites I cannot access either, one being my online bank, another being the BBC weather website......

My PC is connected to a wireless router by cable. However, when I connect to my netwrok wirelessly through my other laptop, it can access all of these sites no problem.

From this I am guessing that there is no problem with my router or my internet connection or ISP, nor is it a browser problem. I suspect either my firewall, a virus of some type, or some problem with Java/activeX used by both browsers....

Firewall is Norton IS 2006. When i turn off the firewall protection, I still can't access the websites. Virus scan doesn't turn up much. Heard the Bagle.bo worm can screw things up a bit like this but don't know if that isthe problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers, Calzone

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Just to add - when I ping www.microsoft.com on my wireless laptop it gets request timed out (i.e. no reply), and yet I can access the website itself no problem.

Maybe it is a problem with the connection......

Check your hosts file. You can find it in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Open it with notepad, and check if there is any of the websites you can't access.

Bye :)

cereal,

Nothing in the hosts file other than localhost.

Various websites don't load, not sure I can see a consistent theme with them. Norton firewall has no obvious issues I can see.

When I try to load www.gamespot.co.uk, the tab does show the titles of the website (though this could come from temp files or a cookie?), and when I ping it I get a quick response. but the site wont' load. Mozilla shows its trying to load from image.com.com, I can ping that fine too, but still nothing comes up.

Have tried running LSP fix and changing host files but no joy. Norton finds nothing. All security restrictions that I can find appear to be fine. As said before my wireless laptop has no problems connecting to these sites. Suggests something is up on my machine, but am struggling to find it at this point.....

you can also try to add those sites in the trusted list (in internet explorer internet settings->security->trusted sited , unmark "https...blah blah" and add there "http://*.microsoft.com" and others)

Are you sure there are no other firewalls/viruses on your pc? You can try to boot from a bootable cd with knoppix linux or erd commander(windows xp modified) for a short test (if it works you can reinstall windows :) )

PS Please share with us your progres and solution in this metter :)

I solved this problem eventually - turned out to be a problem with the MTU settings on my computer and new laptop being set at 1500, while the modem was at 1492. This can lead to problems where websites end up sending the wrong packet size to the router and it doesn't get through.

www.kitz.co.uk provides a goodguide to resovling this issue.

I solved this problem eventually - turned out to be a problem with the MTU settings on my computer and new laptop being set at 1500, while the modem was at 1492. This can lead to problems where websites end up sending the wrong packet size to the router and it doesn't get through.

www.kitz.co.uk provides a goodguide to resovling this issue.

I'm having the same problem. How do you change the MTU Settings?

I'm having the same problem. How do you change the MTU Settings?

Basically you need to make sure your windows MTU settings match those in your Router / modem. See the link below for more detailed guide.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/MTU.htm

MTU settings should be somewhere in the main configuration page of your router, don't remember where they are in Windows, but remember it being non trivial to find.

Calzone

Wow .. this was the fix I was also looking for .. thanks for sharing dude.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.