I am having a problem where my computer will not get past the Windows XP home edition screen. I have tried to start in safe mode but the same thing happens.

I am using a compaq presario s4030nx
It is running windows xp service pack 2
This computer has also had a few modifications done.... installed an ATI 9600 Pro graphics card
upgraded the ram to 768
and added a 400 watt power supply to handled a graphics card i plan to install.

Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

If more information is needed please let me know.

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Did this problem occur after you installed the new hardware? If so, it is probably a hardware problem.. and you should take out the hardware you last put in. Then install each hardware piece one by one, making sure you install it properly and that your computer boots up.

When booting in safe mode, on which driver loading does the system hang?

Did this problem occur after you installed the new hardware? If so, it is probably a hardware problem.. and you should take out the hardware you last put in. Then install each hardware piece one by one, making sure you install it properly and that your computer boots up.

I was thinking that at first also, however this hardware has been in place for the last two years (with the exception of the power supply). Do you think it could cause a problem after all that time?

When booting in safe mode, on which driver loading does the system hang?

How do i tell which driver loading it is?

When you're booting in safe mode, you should see the actual drivers loading instead of the windows logo screen. So on which line does it hang on ?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.