I have network with one router and two computers connected to it (one through wireless connection). I can create 'Remote Desktop Connection' from one computer to other but connection is broken after a few seconds.

Ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

what is the lease time for ip addresses? how long does it last

I do not use dhcp :)
Any other ideas?

I would also say that after trying to connect to the computer that uses wireless connection through Remote Desktop it breaks the connection after a few seconds (computer or router breaks it) (Why?) . And that is the main problem here.

I use shared resources of that computer without problems.

Do you get a continuous connection after doing a Remote Desktop and for how long?

Do you get a continuous connection after doing a Remote Desktop and for how long?

I can connect for about 3-5 seconds - I mean I can move the "mouse" pointer on remote desktop for a while and then I cant - it stops responding and the info appears saying that connection was lost.

I have the same problem - only on 2 pcs, one was just rebuilt and the other is new, so I think it is perhaps a MS problem, remember the remote desktop was recently one of the updates.

why don't you all just try using realvnc or ultravnc? these are far better from remote desktop

We experienced a similar problem. An outside partner was connecting via Remote Desktop with 5 separte sessions. Their sessions were inconsistently freezing, sometimes in a few seconds, other times after several minutes.

Turns out they altered the remote desktop shortcut setting we sent them and changed the Experience tab to Lan (10Mbps or higher) instead of the Modem (56 Kbps). Hope this helps.

-John

We experienced a similar problem. An outside partner was connecting via Remote Desktop with 5 separte sessions. Their sessions were inconsistently freezing, sometimes in a few seconds, other times after several minutes.

Turns out they altered the remote desktop shortcut setting we sent them and changed the Experience tab to Lan (10Mbps or higher) instead of the Modem (56 Kbps). Hope this helps.

-John

Thanks, but did not work
I get the another user has connected, and I am the only one using the machines.

I can connect for about 3-5 seconds - I mean I can move the "mouse" pointer on remote desktop for a while and then I cant - it stops responding and the info appears saying that connection was lost.

I am experiencing something similar and wonder if you found a solution to your problem? I am disconnected after 30 seconds.

I am experiencing something similar and wonder if you found a solution to your problem? I am disconnected after 30 seconds.

I'm sorry, but I have not solved it. Actually I've set up Linux on all my computers and now everything works fine;)

The problem could be as simple as limited bandwith over your wireless connection. On your RDP windows I would drop your connection speed to Modem and see if it makes a difference. You can do this by Options -> Experience -> change this to Modem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.