Hello!
I was hoping that someone could help me with the problem that I am having. Last week, for no rhyme or reason, my computer stop recognizing my CD-RW and DVD-RW drives. I have had this happen before, so I did the registry edit fix, but this time it didn't help. I've checked all connections and wires within the computer, and there is no problem there. I moved the drives to a friends computer, and they are indeed functioning. My computer just fails to see the drives. They open and close, but my computer won't dectect the drives. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Welcome to DaniWeb !

As per i think System Bus Master Controller is Malfunctioned. You need to install alternate PCI Bus card into Mainboard to verify the Problem.

Regards..

hi miss, check your device manager see if there's any malfucntion in any of your hardware devices..or try system restore..

could be a number of things does the computer reconise the drive is there in the device manager if not try changing the ide cable if that doesn't work change it to the other ide slot on the motherboard it seems like a cable or drive or motherboard problem rather than a software/kernel/os problem let me know how you get on.

Hello!
I was hoping that someone could help me with the problem that I am having. Last week, for no rhyme or reason, my computer stop recognizing my CD-RW and DVD-RW drives. I have had this happen before, so I did the registry edit fix, but this time it didn't help. I've checked all connections and wires within the computer, and there is no problem there. I moved the drives to a friends computer, and they are indeed functioning. My computer just fails to see the drives. They open and close, but my computer won't dectect the drives. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

Could you please be specific about not recognizing your CD/DVD drive? What message do you get & when? What does the BIOS report? Have you checked in Device Manager and is the device there at all? If so have you reinstalled the drivers?

Info please!

first thing you want to do is check too see if the drive is recognized in the BIOS if i't not, check cable and IDE setting in bios maybe it's turned off the secondary ide channel. if the BIOS detects it but not windows explorer, it's a registry tweak that has to be done. are u comfy going into the registry??????

Ok, I checked BIOS in the beginning, and it did not recognize the drives. I have already done the registry tweak, this has happened before and that is what I did to fix it that time, but it didn't work. I have changed the cables out twice with brand new cables, it didn't help.
I'll try the suggestion of installing a new PCI bus card to see if that works and post back with the results. I am also open to other suggestions.

i wouldnt bother sounds like the drive is broken you can swap it out to antoher comp to try it in there or cut your loses and buy another one!

Both drive have been tested to work on a friend's computer. Also, there was no conflicts in the device manager.

same thing happened with my drive but it wont play anything except for CD-R and my drive is supposed to play all dvd types

that sounds like the incorrect driver try unistalling the device then reinstalling it usin add or remove hardware

I reinstalled the drivers for both devices, and it still didn't work

Do your drives detect in the bios? Did you flash your bios before?

I reinstalled the drivers for both devices, and it still didn't work

But did you try the fixes at the site I suggested?

Yes, in the original post that I made, I pointed out that I had tried the registry edit fix. The script that is at the site is the same as doing the registry edit. Also, no , BIOS does not detect any of the drives.

Yeah - I read your first post properly. But the thread on the site I posted contains a number of different reasons that could apply to your sirtuation including the ones you've attempted.

So what would I do? I've got a long history of fixing things that go wrong and it seems that you know what you're doing too.

If the drive works in a different PC (I take it that you have a PC and not a laptop) and everything else has been tried, then I'd have to conclude that the HW I/F between drive and controller no longer works.

What do you think?

Yeah, that's pretty much the conclusion that I have came up with, but sometimes someone may come up with something that I haven't thought of. Anyways, thanks for helping!

if you have another comp it does work on why dont u swap it to that one then move the drive that was in that one back to your one if possible i know it doesnt solve the problem and is a bit of a rubbish solution but its a solution none the less.

Have you tried another drive in the pc where the drive doesnt work? what happens with that one?

If that works it very unlikely to be a hardware or controller issue its more likely to be an o/s configuration a hardware conflict or software conflict problem (one program grabs the drive at start up and wont let it go)

Its very hard to diagnoise when you cant physically see the problem but this is my opinion and im sorry if it has already been sugested!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.