I am using Win2000, McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.5, IE 6 & Firefox 2.0.0.3
Was configuring the new ADSL Modem/Router (through USB) & as it was not working properly I wanted to uninstall & by mistake uninstalled a virtual driver (I think!) listed as a hidden device in device manager under Network adapters.
After that Mcafee Desktop Firewall indicated that it was not protecting as a driver was not installed.
After that I could not access internet even through dial-up. Also the web interface of my ADSL modem is also unaccessible.
Same with Firefox too.
Uninstalling & installing Mcafee Desktop Firewall did not correct the problem.
What am I to do now? Thanks in advance...

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

In my opinion McAfee is not the best firewall to be using; I would suggest removing it and installing Sygate Personal Firewall.
It sounds like McAfee might BE the problem.

I am using Win2000, McAfee Desktop Firewall 8.5, IE 6 & Firefox 2.0.0.3
Was configuring the new ADSL Modem/Router (through USB) & as it was not working properly I wanted to uninstall & by mistake uninstalled a virtual driver (I think!) listed as a hidden device in device manager under Network adapters.
After that Mcafee Desktop Firewall indicated that it was not protecting as a driver was not installed.
After that I could not access internet even through dial-up. Also the web interface of my ADSL modem is also unaccessible.
Same with Firefox too.
Uninstalling & installing Mcafee Desktop Firewall did not correct the problem.
What am I to do now? Thanks in advance...

Well from what I can see here. I would suggest first of all using an ethernet cable it makes things so much simpler, ethernet doesn't require drivers it just works. whereas usb requires drivers to work. Secondly you said something about uninstalling drivers, have you tried to reinstall your ethernet card drivers, and because you're using usb your modem drivers. I would also recommend disabling your firewall until you get your internet connection working again. At least that way when it is working you can start up your firewall again and if it's blocking you, you can trouble shoot from there. By the way You cannot use dial up if you're using Highspeed unless you have a dial up modem in the computer and a phone line connected to the computer. Which would be a very weird setup.. Oh and also when you've reinstalled the drivers, unplug the power from the modem, for about 10 seconds, then plug it back in. After you've done all this restart the computer. If things still aren't working please post back. I'll need to know what you've got in the computer, like what kind of ethernet card, if you have a dial up modem as well? Uh can't think of anything else right now I'm kind of tired I'll check this in the morning when I get up to see if you've posted anything. Try these steps for now and i'm pretty sure you'll get it working if you haven't already. Good night

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.